Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Basic knowledge of planning and scheduling

28 replies [Last post]
Fabrizio Capello
User offline. Last seen 18 years 26 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None
Hello,

What topics do you consider are the basics (basic knowledge) of planning and scheduling)?

Thank you.

Replies

nikita newton
User offline. Last seen 7 years 51 weeks ago. Offline

For my business i am using software it helps me to plan and schedule the task.

Plan in advance also schedule my task, complete the task in time and also create bills ased on it my means of Apptivo software.

Pirzada Umair Ahmed
User offline. Last seen 8 years 19 weeks ago. Offline

Hi to all

Does anybody have the Planning and scheduling Professional Sample test queastion including the memorandum question?

I am in Urgent need

Thanks

Engr Umair

Willem van der Merwe
User offline. Last seen 5 weeks 2 days ago. Offline

Gents/Ladies

I have been a member of Planning Planet for a long time. Only now do I start reading the posts, so please forgive me if I haven't seen something I should have...

I have been tasked by a large company in South Arica to write a project planner development program for their project planners. This proved to be a bigger task than I anticipated. I have  been working on this thing for close on a year now on and off, and regularly for the past few months. The manual will have a practical approach with just the basic theory. The original planned structure has grown out of proportion to a really large document. The documents comprizes 45000 words already, and I estimate that this will easily double by the time level 1 is complete. There will be 3 levels.

To train people to become planners who have been involved in projects previously is easy. I have done that in the past. If you need to train people who do not know much about projects, the task increases exponentially in effort, and that has to be kept in mind when writing material like this. An effective way of training non-experienced people is with lots of case studies in my opinion. So, in addition to the training manual which will have examples and exercises in Primavera and MS Project (for now), I will have a seperate booklet just with case studies where scheduling is involved.

That is where I hope I will be able to get lots of material from PP members. I need litterally 100's of case studies. On any planning topic you deem relevant. I will acknowlede each person for his/her contribution in the book.

If anybody needs more information, please mail me. If you want to send a case study right away, please do so. Mail me on willem@tza.co.za. I will appreciate 

Sanjeevkumar Dhudse
User offline. Last seen 2 years 33 weeks ago. Offline

Thank You very much sir for such a wonderfull explaination of Planning Basics...

Thank U Very Much.

Sanjeev D

Chris Oggham
User offline. Last seen 9 years 17 weeks ago. Offline
Gordon,

I think you’re right, especially the part about taking time to really think about the job or a problem. We should be careful though about over-thinking a potential solution or approach, or we can get caught up in our own cleverness and send everything down the tubes.

Shakespeare had it right - "Yon Cassius hath a lean and hungry look, he thinks too much, such men are dangerous."

Chris Oggham
Gordon Blair
User offline. Last seen 6 years 12 weeks ago. Offline
Well, it’s not too often I find myself agreeing whole-heartedly with Oscar :o), but He and Larry have got it bang on.

You can know all of the principles of scheduling, cost control, measurement and reporting, you can be a whizz with all of the latest software, you can even be an expert in the field of your Project, but if you lack the personal and intellectual qualities, you’ll never be more than a mediocre Planner.

Don’t get me wrong, I certainly don’t see myself as God’s gift to Planning; but I have seen worse Planners who knew the job and the software far better than I did. What they didn’t do was use their ears enough, or sit back every now and then for a really good think.

I hope I haven’t offended anybody with the above, it certainly isn’t my intetion, but then, none of us are THOSE GUYS, eh? ;o)

Have a good weekend all
Jim Smith
User offline. Last seen 8 years 26 weeks ago. Offline
Hi Folks,

Here is the original post:
Fabrizio Capello, Roadways & Infrastructure, Member since Sep 2005, Italy, 5 Posts Basic knowledge of planning and scheduling
-------------
Hello, What topics do you consider are the basics (basic knowledge) of planning and scheduling)? Thank you

Common sense is necessary to become a planner but it’s obviously not enough. Nor is simply learning how to drive a software package. A planner needs to learn planning basics before they can begin planning: and **learning** and knowing about CPA, activities, resources, levelling, EVM, WBS, RBS, etc will be entirely necessary, as Charlie suggests.

BTW has anyone ever looked up ANSI 741 ? ( The ANSI EVM standard ). How was it ?

Regards,

Jim
Se de Leon
User offline. Last seen 2 years 37 weeks ago. Offline
Hi guys,

I think what made this thread debatable at first is because the question is asking about the basic knowledge of planning and scheduling as one question. I believe in order for us to arrive on precise answers to the question, the question must be precise also. For me the question should have been "what are the fundamentals of scheduling" as one question and "what are the fundamentals of planning" as a separate question.

PERT/CPM, ADM, PDM, AOA, AON,understanding floats etc., it falls under scheduling.

Planning is quite unique for each industry.
Ex. Buildings used by floor by zone method. IT used by systems. Road construction used by section. Oil and gas and railway have a different approach. Depending on the nature of the project, planning methodology could vary by industry and by project. This is where projects and planners differ in so many ways.

A separate subject could be discussed about psychology and human relations fundamentals in planning/scheduling.

Please note that the original question is only asking for "basic knowledge" of planning/scheduling.

Just my humble opinion.

Se
Larry Blankenship
User offline. Last seen 11 years 51 weeks ago. Offline
I was including the knowledge of scheduling under logic. Scheduling is nothing more than a very complex logic puzzle. Techniques like PERT and CPM are merely ways to formalize the process, but I question whether anyone who doesn’t have a good basic grasp of logic could effectively schedule a project.

Creativity comes in when you have to find a new solution because logic won’t let you get there from here. Because projects are carried out by people, and because people aren’t inherently logical, creativity comes in when trying to coordinate the sometimes different goals and agendas people bring to the table.

Curiosity is what allows you to ask the questions that noone else is asking because they assume they already know the answer, or even worse because they assume you already know the answer. As a former IT analyst, one of the first things I had to learn was not to be afraid to look foolish with my questions. Egoless questions is the term I’ve heard used in the past. Being willing to listen and not always to things that are work related has helped me no end in getting my goals accomplished. For some reason, people find me easy to talk to, which comes in handy when you’re trying to get estimates, information about tasks, etc. Example I had on this project was an Instrumentation and Electrical guy who everyone told me would be nearly impossible to get information from. "He just doesn’t talk." they all said. By keeping my mouth shut and letting him talk on his schedule I was able to get everything I needed from him, and now he comes to me.

Humility is tied to Curiousity, in my mind, but it also ties into the idea that no matter how bright you are, the people on the ground, closest to the work, know the most. If you can open your ears and eyes and keep your mouth shut, they’ll tell you what you want to know, as long as they believe you’re there to help them be less stressed out and more organized at the end of the day, without making them feel like a bunch of drones.

Okay, I’ve had my say now.

BTW, I frankly think George Dubya is a yutz, and I happen to be greatly enjoying the political woes he’s suffering from now. In my opinion, George lacks all of the above characteristics, which is why the last 5 years have been such a disaster. Oh well, He may get to learn some humility in 2006 if things continue to go like this.

Okay, no more politics.

Oscar and Larry,
you are abcolutely right about the most necessary skills of the project planner (I mean asking necessary questions for creating realistic project model) but without the knowledge of the project scheduling technique these questions will not be asked.
So let’s agree that the knowledge of the project scheduling technique is necessary though not sufficient condition for becoming good project planner.
Cheers,
Vladimir
Oscar Wilde
User offline. Last seen 16 years 10 weeks ago. Offline
Larry
Did George Bush say that about the stupid question

Ha Ha

Just Joking
Larry Blankenship
Oh one other thing.

There is no such thing as a stupid question, but they’re generally the easiest to answer.

Larry
Larry Blankenship
Bravo! Oscar.

The point you make about the critical thing being the result of the work rather than the schedule is well taken. I’m learning that in my current assignment. My background is primarily in IT, but I’m currently scheduling a turnaround for a chemical plant. They hired me specifically because I had skills with the project planning tool they were using (MS Project, bleah!). Despite knowing next to nothing about ammonia production, I’ve been able to be effective by asking questions, listening to the answers, and being open to learn.

Now I could have been a self important prig in trying to assist them with their project and insisted that the schedule I came up with was the only way to do the project, but what would that have accomplished?

Instead, I made compromises, and tried to design the plan so that it gave freedom to the people on the ground to make changes as conditions change. From what I’ve seen here, turnarounds are very difficult to schedule even with the best tools, and it’s nearly impossible to do with a crappy tool like Project.

The skills I used? Logic, Creativity, Curiousity, and Humility, which are coincidentally the tools that I’ve used in every other job I’ve ever had.

Larry
Oscar Wilde
User offline. Last seen 16 years 10 weeks ago. Offline
Guys

There is a planner or maybe a wannabe planner who asked a simple question and at the moment we are giving him a load of nonsense.

The basics of planning must be an understanding or logical sequencing an ability to think clearly , interogate the spec and drawings and an ability to listen and question.

I totally disagree that a basic fundamental of planning is understanding CPM or whatever somebody wrote on estimating.

Yes yes I know Charlie you will have an epelectic fit you to Bernard but reality check !!!!!! do you need to understand it or do you just need to know where F9 is.

I have met a host of so called planners who couldnt plan how top keep the beer cold in the Arctic and generally hide behind the software planning IS NOR PRODUCING A OUTPUT
its producing the input.

My planning basics
Look, Learn, listen, practice, and question

For a stupid question is not as stupid as a question not asked.

regards

Oscar
Charleston-Joseph...
User offline. Last seen 2 years 39 weeks ago. Offline
Hi Bernard,

Thanks for the info.

I viewed the site. It’s interesting.

Cheers,

Charlie
Bernard Ertl
User offline. Last seen 9 years 19 weeks ago. Offline
John Page’s books are still available on amazon.com. My father collaborated with him many years ago in translating his estimating tables for new process plant construction into a computer algorithm to simplify the calculations. It was a DOS based system for years sold by Gulf Publishing before being revamped for the Windows platform: The Conceptual Cost Estimator.

Bernard Ertl
InterPlan Systems
Charleston-Joseph...
Hello David,

I really don’t know what it is your up to.

A simple thread but fundamental in planning for which i responded, then your talking about blah, blah, blah...

My message is freedom. Well rock and roll...

Hello Fabrizio,

Please bear with the distraction,

Another important factor in planning is manhour estimates. I found John Page estimating manhour norm useful. I try to search for a web about John Page but i was not successful. We can only hope someone will lead us the way to John Page.

Cheers,

Charlie

David Bordoli
User offline. Last seen 8 years 6 days ago. Offline
Hey Charlie

I should learn not to get involved…

But let me ask you one thing… why do you have such a hang up about nationality? Sure, the way we use the English language is different but what is with this ‘American system’ and ‘English school of thinking’? I thought we all try to embrace the best of the world’s scientific management techniques.

See, the reason why I got the impression you thought PERT and CPM were one and the same thing is you conflate them into something you call PERT/CPM techniques and the PERT/CPM school. Now, you also say that PERT/CPM is not much used today, I profoundly disagree with you there. CPM, in my book of abbreviations, means Critical Path Method. Surely we all use critical path methods in formulating almost all of our programmes?

Again, my education must be lacking as I had never thought of Earned Value Management as a planning approach. A management tool or system even but a planning approach?

Back to asking the Americans… if you read some of my research you will find acknowledgements to researchers in the US who have contributed and assisted me. Not that I am trying to be jingoistic but have you heard of the work of Richard Ormerod who first demonstrated linked bar charts in 1984, a format which most project management software has adopted for communication or Simon Austin’s team who in 1994 developed the Analytical Design and Planning Technique?

I just find your advice dangerous and lacking Charlie, or is it just misleading? What you said was ‘modern planning knowledge’ was a very incomplete list of a few techniques. You previously spoke about all types of planners, from military strategists to wedding planners. As planners they generally don’t need to know about EVM but thy do need to know about making lists, estimating durations, organising and communicating. No doubt you will retort that I am welcome to my opinion, as you are yours. I was going to suggest you might like to consider what you are going to say before you attack your keyboard but no, that would deprive us of far too much entertainment.

Whatever you do… don’t give up on your critical thinking, I’d hate to see the results if you did.

Regards

David
Charleston-Joseph...
Hi David,

For friendly chit chat, Im not a native english speaker. I try hard follow the American english since school days until now.

I do know and i do believe that PERT and CPM are not synonymous. How in the world did you conclude that I imply PERT and CPM are synonymous.

As I informed PERT/CPM was my college thesis. My education and actual field experienced follows the the American system (sorry, im not educated in the english school of thinking). I know the history on how this wonderful planning tools comes into existence. For the record, neither PERT/CPM nor EVM, SPI or CPI start with the english school of thinking.

I agree with you that PERT/CPM is not much used today, but the fundamentals of Critical Path can be trace back to PERT/CPM school of planning thoughts. If you dont agree, please ask the Americans.

And this is what this thread is for: Basic Knowledge of Planning and Scheduling.

Cheers and be happy, my colleague in PP.

Charlie

David Bordoli
Charlie

A minor gripe perhaps but, in my opinion, symptomatic of the misinformation instigated by, then propagated by those who should know better. If you do intend to educate a new generation of planners Charlie may I suggest, amongst other things, you stop using PERT and CPM as synonyms.

As for the Forum Rules & Guidelines; I take particular care about what I say and I am sure the Moderators will listen, at least, if you feel I have been unduly critical of some of your postings. In my opinion, however, there is something missing from the rules and guidelines but which should be common sense in any case:

Do not proffer advice, which others may rely upon, outside your field of expertise without qualifying it as such.

Regards

David
Charleston-Joseph...
Hello David and Clive

I’m not surprise with your response, not at all. Your free to express whatever you want to PP up to the limit set out in forum rules. You only have to remember that the moderator will do the best they can to implement the forum rules. My only wish is to bring out best for PP and for the new generation of planners.

To Philip,

I know you did manual calculation as you hinted in your previous thread

I did manual calculation in using PERT/CPM to arrive at critical path, forward pass and backward pass. In addition I know dummy activities, I-node, J-node. These terms are extinct in Primavera P3 because the logic in Primavera is more on precedent diagram.

PERT/CPM was my thesis in college. I taught PERT/CPM to my students. In managing construction project in my hometown, PERT/CPM and S-curve were the document requested by the project team, computation were done manually and the graphical reprentation of activities were done in cross-section papers, AO size.

What I told Fabrizio is only an introduction to my thesis. EVM, SPI and CPI can be learn in KIDASA (kidasa.com), PMI, etc.

Cheers,

Charlie
David Bordoli
Clive…

Yes, you are right and I should apologise for my remarks about Charlie.

I have been making the outrageous assumption that my thoughts, knowledge and opinions were superior to Charlie’s. All along I now realise I am just unable to interpret what he is saying and, because of my lack of mental capacity in that regard, I jump to the conclusion that he is uttering drivel!

;-)

Regards

David

ps. Diatribe is such a wonderful word. I looked at it’s etymology; the original Greek noun diatribē means “wearing away of time, amusement, serious occupation, study,” as well as “discourse, short ethical treatise or lecture, debate, argument.” I wonder which definition you had in mind…
Clive Randall
User offline. Last seen 16 years 18 weeks ago. Offline
David
I enjoy Charlies uplifting diatribes it makes me realise how far I have to go to catch up.

Phillip
Do you really not know what LOB is I dont believe you

Kind regards
Clive
Sen Moc
User offline. Last seen 18 years 16 weeks ago. Offline
Fabri,

Try to read as much the forum threads here in Planning Planet.

You’ll learn more than the basics of planning & scheduling.

Regards.
Sen
Philip Jonker
User offline. Last seen 15 years 21 weeks ago. Offline
Hi Charleston,

Did you ever do those things prior to thr age of computors? And it would be handy if you could explain line of balance to some people here
David Bordoli
In my humble opinion, and I have said this before, advice from Charlie should be taken with a big pinch of salt. And, as most of us know, too much salt is bad for your health (and the same is true of Charlie’s homespun homilies).

Such simplistic and inaccurate bull, masquerading as wisdom, I have rarely heard.

Love and peace to all!

David
pmkb .
User offline. Last seen 12 years 47 weeks ago. Offline
IMO, planning requires extensive experience in the field to adequately decide upon the proper methods for achieving the (high level) project scope.

Scheduling is a discipline that can be learned by studying CPM and playing Tetris. :D

Stacy
Participate in the Project Management Knowledge Base!
Charleston-Joseph...
Hello Fabrizion,

You can read books on how the seven wonders of the world was constructed or you may read classics military campaign on how the actions were planned and executed to attain goals.

The modern planning knowledge is the GANTT CHART. In the 1950 Du Pont and Remington Rand developed Critical Path Method or CPM. In the US of A Navy, PERT or Performance Evaluation and Review Techniques was also used in the Polaris Submarine Project. Eventually, the two planning technique were combined. This was the birth of the planning techniques called PERT/CPM: Performance Evaluation and Review Techniques. New planning approach includes: Earned Value Management (EVM), Schedule Performance Index (SPI), Cost Performance Index (CPI).

Cheers,

Charlie