Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

P6 Duration types and " Project Planned Start"

No replies
Abbas Rajabpour
User offline. Last seen 7 weeks 2 days ago. Offline
Groups: None

Hi all, i have a couple of quesions. I would appreciate every one's input on this :

1- under primavera project detals tab and under dates, what is " project planned start" where it is reading from?

2- I have searched a lot, but what are the different scenarios that you may use each duration type in primavera( real life examples!)

david kelly
User offline. Last seen 7 hours 14 min ago. Offline
No, I still cannot see it.
Abbas Rajabpour

I hope you can see it this time.

screenshot_2024-01-23_083050.png

david kelly

'Planned' dates in P6 are the same as 'Early' dates, until the object (Project or Activity or Resource Assignment) gets an Actual start after which it is not updated.

The four duration types control the relationship between three essential dimensions of an activity:

• Duration
  • Units per time period
  • Total units

This applies to original quantities and remaining quantities.

In P6, Duration * UPT = total resource quantity, this is always true.

So, when you change one value, say duration, one of the other dimensions must change.

You need to work through some examples from your own world.  For example, I am going dig a trench with an excavator. If I double the length of time the job will take, am I only using one half of an excavator|?  Or am I doubling the amount to be excavated?

david kelly

abbas,

I cannot see the photo or screenshot

david kelly

abbas,

I cannot see the photo or screenshot

Abbas Rajabpour

Thanks David for your quick response,  can you elaborate more on the first questions. I am referring to this photo:

I don't understand the 2nd of Feb one. Actual start seems quit logical which is the first activity which has been actualised in the project. But regarding the " 2nd of Feb" I don't understand it. I even added " planned star " column on activities and filtered based on this date. I coudn't find any activity with this date. Am I missing anything in here?

Abbas Rajabpour

Thanks David for your quick response,  can you elaborate more on the first questions. I am referring to this photo:

I don't understand the 2nd of Feb one. Actual start seems quit logical which is the first activity which has been actualised in the project. But regarding the " 2nd of Feb" I don't understand it. I even added " planned star " column on activities and filtered based on this date. I coudn't find any activity with this date. Am I missing anything in here?

david kelly

'Planned' dates in P6 are the same as 'Early' dates, until the object (Project or Activity or Resource Assignment) gets an Actual start after which it is not updated.

The four duration types control the relationship between three essential dimensions of an activity:

• Duration
  • Units per time period
  • Total units

This applies to original quantities and remaining quantities.

In P6, Duration * UPT = total resource quantity, this is always true.

So, when you change one value, say duration, one of the other dimensions must change.

You need to work through some examples from your own world.  For example, I am going dig a trench with an excavator. If I double the length of time the job will take, am I only using one half of an excavator|?  Or am I doubling the amount to be excavated?