Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Duration Type of Fixed Units not working properly

No replies
Rodney Jones
User offline. Last seen 1 day 10 hours ago. Offline
Groups: None

Hi All,

I am using Duration Type of Fixed Units for some activities. The Units are from the Cost Estimate. When I allocate a Resource to the Activity, the Duration changes accordingly to match the Resource Availability (12h/D).

So an activity with 120 hours as Units generates a Duration of 10 days when the Resource is assigned.

But when I add a second Resource ( the same Resource now on the activity twice), the Units double and the duration remains the same.

Which is exactly the opposite of what should happen, Units should remain at 120 hours and the Duration should shrink to 5 days.

Any ideas what I am doing wrong?

Rodel Marasigan
User offline. Last seen 1 day 15 min ago. Offline

Hi Rod, No worries. Happy to help.

Rodney Jones

Rodel to the Rescue once again. Yes, I knew I was forgetting a switch somewhere. Thanks again Mate. All fixed and working as expected now.

Rodney Jones

Rodel to the Rescue once again. Yes, I knew I was forgetting a switch somewhere. Thanks again Mate. All fixed and working as expected now.

Rodney Jones

Rodney Jones

Rodney Jones

Rodney Jones

Rodel Marasigan
User offline. Last seen 1 day 15 min ago. Offline

Hi Rod,

If  you use Fixed Units on Duration type, therefore duration will follow on Resources availability when assigning resources.
Ex: Duration Type: Fixed Units
      % Complete Type: Duration
     Calendar working hours : 12hrs/day

If the activity has 10days duration when assigning resources the resource will automatically populated as 120hrs. If the resource units change to 96hrs, the activity duration will automatically change to 8 days.

If you added a new resource, the activity duration will change based on Resource Assignment setting at User Preference -->Calculation tab --> Resource Assignments
When adding or removing multiple resource on activity:
- Preserve the unit, duration, and unit/time for existing assignments
- Recalculate the Unit, Duration and Unit/Time for existing assignments based on the activity Duration type

If Preserve is selected, the behaviour of duration and units will be the same as is and will not change
If Recalculate is selected, the behaviour of duration and units will be acording to duration type.

On your case, it seems that the Preserve is selected on your settings.