Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Resource Driven Critical Path Visibility

No replies
Alex Lyaschenko
User offline. Last seen 8 weeks 2 days ago. Offline
Groups: None
Does anyone already have experience with this Primavera feature annonced in 21.12 release?   Resource Driven Critical Path Visibility.To aid in the resolution of delayed critical paths before they become project over-runs, P6 Professional can show:- Activities on up to 30 activity-driven critical paths, calculated on the forward pass, backward pass, or forward and backward passes (with or without resource leveling).- The activities on up to 30 resource driven critical paths, calculated on the backward pass with resource leveling. How it actaully work?Does anyone has an example? Have Oracle fixed the 'incorrect Total Float' bug when schedule is levelled?  
Rodel Marasigan
User offline. Last seen 4 hours 26 min ago. Offline

Hi Vladimir,

As far as I'm aware, P6 only calculates Activity float path and not Resource float path.

Rodel,

what do you mean by the float path?

If activities have different calendars their floats would be different even if they belong to the same path.

Besides, as I showed in the example in my previous post, P6 calculates wrong resource constrained floats and shows wrong resource constrained critical path.

Was it fixed in version 21?

Rodel Marasigan
User offline. Last seen 4 hours 26 min ago. Offline

Currently, I am using it to show the Activity critical path (Float Path) of the selected activity. In the toolbar, you can activate Activity Critical Path Toolbar. By default, it calculate the float path using backward pass of selected activity. If you select the start milestone of the program and click forward pass, it will display the activity forward pass float path. You can increase the number of activity criticality (float path). If the level resource is used, it used the resource level float path of selected activity, forward or backward pass (which ever is selected) or both.

I am curious if P6 leveling was improved in version 21.

Look at the schedule below, created with P6 v.20

P6floats

Notice that the last project activity Check Support has 20 days total and free float,

activities Develop technical requirements and Develop functional requirements have 13 days total floats though both are critical.

Critical activities do not create a path though in this simple schedule all activities and resources use the same calendar and no constraints are applied except resource availability constraints.

If nothing changed resource constrained total floats and resource critical path in P6 v.21 can be misleading.

david kelly
User offline. Last seen 3 days 5 hours ago. Offline
Groups: None

I shall probably help my first client migrate to v21 this month. As always, Ed Harris has a good explanation of what this does. I am just not clear how, without a fully-functioning Resource Levelling facility, this helps? Without proper control of splitting under resource levelling, I currently have no clients using it. A cynic (mea culpa) would suggest this new facility extends cute Layout filtering, without actually improving the core arithmetic.