Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Update Problem on Duration Types

3 replies [Last post]
boran ucar
User offline. Last seen 1 year 21 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None

I've created an activity and set it's duration type as fixed duration and units/time and percent complete type to physical. I've assigned two resources as 20/d units/time, 1000 units and 50 durations.

Later on, I've updated schedule on 25th day of this activity and entered actual units as 800.

Remaining duration still seems 50 days and At complete duration is 75 days. Isn't it supposed to remain 50 days as it's duration type is fixed duration?

fixed_duration_1.jpg

fixed_duration_2.jpg

wysiwyg_imageupload::

Replies

Zoltan Palffy
User offline. Last seen 4 days 1 hour ago. Offline

run the global change the remaining duration will change

boran ucar
User offline. Last seen 1 year 21 weeks ago. Offline

Thanks for answering, but I want the at completion duration to be fixed as 50 days, not to be driven by units. Actually, I have tried to apply the example in the link below (for fixed duration and units/time) as an exercise. I guess in the example they didnt updated the schedule, just changed remaining duration but what I think is, applying an update for 25 days should automatically change actual duration to 25 days (as on the activity's calendar) and remaining duration to original duration - 25 days for a started activity.

https://www.projectcubicle.com/primavera-p6-duration-types/What am I missing?

What am I missing?

Zoltan Palffy
User offline. Last seen 4 days 1 hour ago. Offline

you have 2 options 

option #1 

physcial % complete will never change the remaining duration. One work around is that after you are done updateing run a global change to make the duration % complete equal the physcial % complete

Tools 

Global change

add

Where Physical % complete    is greather than      0

Ten Duration % complete     = Physcial % Complete

on the right Change

at the bottom on the right Comitt Changes 

Option #2 

if you want to have your units drive the durations chnage the duration type to fixed units