Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Adjusting budgeted manhours after already assigning baseline

3 replies [Last post]
Eric Gonzalez
User offline. Last seen 4 years 6 weeks ago. Offline

I have an EPC schedule that has been manhours and resourced loaded to the baseline. However, I have already actualized activies and I have also delelted some activites as well per PM. Now the PM is telling me I need to reduce the amount of manhours. What would be the best solution going forward? Would i need to revert the baseline, adjust the manhours and then convert it back? Or do I maintain the current data date baseline, adjust the manhours and then assign as the new baseline? Any input helps. thanks. 

Replies

Baykan Yigit Sogut
User offline. Last seen 1 year 32 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None

As Zoltan mentioned, you shouldnot change your baseline data if its approved. If the reduction of manhours is logical, then best practice to change original baseline and get approval to use comparison purpose. Because you might be changing the distribution of resoures between activities for your favor or not. Plan vs progress curves might mislead you if you use current data date programme as a baseline.

Again, the reduction of manhours/resources should be logical and supportable.

Baykan Yigit Sogut
User offline. Last seen 1 year 32 weeks ago. Offline

As Zoltan mentioned, you shouldnot change your baseline data if its approved. If the reduction of manhours is logical, then best practice to change original baseline and get approval to use comparison purpose. Because you might be changing the distribution of resoures between activities for your favor or not. Plan vs progress curves might mislead you if you use current data date programme as a baseline.

Again, the reduction of manhours/resources should be logical and supportable.

Zoltan Palffy
User offline. Last seen 4 weeks 2 days ago. Offline

there are a few issues here if the basleine has been approved then you can not do this.

if it has not yet been approved you can unassign and restore the baseline and then make your changes.

thats the whole point of having as baseline so that you have an original document so that you can compare against your current plan. If you keep changing the basline you will never be able to see these changes. How would you know that there are less manhours or some activities are no longer needed. 

you need something to measure against dont change it.