Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Cost and Resource Uploaded

8 replies [Last post]
Muhammad Saqib
User offline. Last seen 4 years 28 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None

Dear All,

I have submitted the time schedule to the client without cost and resource uploaded.

Now client asked me to submit the schedule with cost and resources.

I have the some questions here,

1) From where i have to collect the cost of each activities. I asked one of my team member who has the priced BOQ ,but he said i cannot provide to you. I mean why he said so and what is the source of cost which i have to upload on P6?

2) Secondly, if i use the Priced BOQ, then how can i put the cost in activities separately, because in BOQ there is so much details of material and activities but in schedule we have simple and major activities.

3) Thirdly, Regarding resources use on site, how can i figure out how much we have to use labor, engineer etc and what about the cost of these labor? 

4) If there is 50 labors working at a time on different activites, then should i have to add 50 resources in P6 separately?, and what about their names?

I would really appreciate if you reply me in Serial wise.

Thanks 

Replies

Muhammad Saqib
Thank you sir
Zoltan Palffy
User offline. Last seen 3 days 2 hours ago. Offline

1. yes each SHOULD have its own activity regardless of the cost this needs to be done

2. You can add the major categories for the different labor plumber, hvac, electrician, Laborer, Iron worker etc.

or the other option is to jsut have 1 labor resource and use filters to filter the plumbing activities or the electrical activities to get the required manpower. 

Rafael Davila
User offline. Last seen 17 hours 36 min ago. Offline
Muhammad Saqib
Dear Baykan and Zoltan, If there is one activity which is using same for each floor like fire fighting works and project is G+5. So in BOQ , there is total cost for this activity. In this case i have to divide this activity by 6 and put in each floor? Secondly, if I don’t differentiate labors for each activity , so don’t you think it will create resource overallocation error in program? I mean i add this labor to each activity?
Muhammad Saqib
Thank you so much zolton. God bless you
Muhammad Saqib
Thank You so much baykan for your help. It means a lot to me.God bless you
Baykan Yigit Sogut
User offline. Last seen 1 year 28 weeks ago. Offline

Assuming you fixed level of programme and WBS:

1- You shoudl start with Material Resources. For each activity material Take off study needs to be done. Then you can ask the relevant team member to provide you trade wise cost at least so taht you can distribute at least toughly.

2-You shoudl be careful to separate Material and Labor Cost. MAterial Cost should be loaded into Procurement activities, Labor Cost should be loaded into Construction activities so on. This separation will enable you to calculate accurate progress inline with yoru cahsflow.

3- If you can handle 1st step, using productivity rates you can easily get the required man-hours which enables you to give required manpower with leveling options. You need to coordinate the numbers with relevant Cosntruction Managers. Labor Cost and BOQ Construction rates should be inline for accurate cost distribution. If not either you should get BOQ construction rates or manhour rates. 1st one will give bettter results to make inline with Interim Payments.

4-Making Resource dixtionary as detailed sometimes doesnot give good result. It doesnot matter who speciically work in simialr activiites unless different type of activities requires deifferent skilled manpower.

Zoltan Palffy
User offline. Last seen 3 days 2 hours ago. Offline

1. you will have to ask him that not us 

2. load each activity with the total cost for each activity just create a resource called lump sum and put it there for each activity.

3. who estimated the project to begin with ask that person

4. you dont have to use name unless you want to. Laborer is a laborer it doen not matter if it is Bob or John doing it