Forum Sponsor:

Viewer for .xer, xml and xls schedule files Schedule Reader™Free Trial

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Where is the BL Project Total Cost in the XER file?

4 replies [Last post]
Alvaro Neira
User offline. Last seen 34 weeks 2 days ago. Offline
Groups: None

Good Afternoon to Everyone,

I'm using Primavera P6 8.2 and I need to parse the costs directly from the XER file.

Specifically I need the BL Project Total Cost.

I know that the value is the result of :

BL Project Labor Cost + BL Project Nonlabor Cost + BL Project Material Cost + BL Project Expense Cost

But my problem is that I can't find reliably what field(s) to use.

I've tried:

TASKRSRC.target_cost

TASKFIN.bcws

TASK.target_work_qty + TASK.target_equip_qty + ... Material + Expense but I don'use the last 2

What works for some activities doesn't work for others. I want the value that the program itself shows.My test is with an empty Primavera (no other projects) importing the XER file. I can see BL Project Total Cost inside Primavera, but not in the XER file. Any help will be appreciated. Best Regards! Alvaro

Replies

Steven Auld
User offline. Last seen 6 days 5 hours ago. Offline

Alvaro,

You are correct, if there is no baseline assigned then it will show the current project values.

If you are looking for the Project Cost then don't use the "_qty" fields, as they are the number of Units allocated, not cost - qty would work only if the cost per unit = 1.

All Labor / NonLabor & Material Costs are in the TASKRSRC section of the XER File => total_cost

To get the Project Total Cost for the Labor / NonLabor & Materials then sum up this column for the Project.

If you need to get a split on the Resource Type, then you would need to do a lookup between the RSRC data & the TASKRSRC data to identify the Resource Type of each line item then split out based on that column.

For Project Expenses, these are saved in the PROJCOST section of the XER File.

Hope that helps.

Steven

Alvaro Neira
User offline. Last seen 34 weeks 2 days ago. Offline

Hello Steven,

I imagined that the baseline was not in the XER file.

But the thing is that still can see all the values inside Primavera (BL Project Total Cost, BL Project Labor Cost, BL Project Nonlabor Cost, BL Project Material Cost, BL Project Expense, etc. )  even if I'd never created a baseline.

As I said: I start with a "clean" or "virgin" Primavera (without any project or baseline). Then I import a single XER file. And the BL values are there.

I guess that it happens because -in absence of any baseline- the <Current Project> takes place of it.

Therefore, the values that I'm looking for must be somewhere in the XER file.

Zoltan Palffy
User offline. Last seen 1 day 8 hours ago. Offline

why cant you use BL Project Total Cost ?

8.2 does not export the basleine in the xer but the new versions like 151. and above you can select Export then Primavera P6 - (XML) doing this give you the option to include a basline with the xport. 

Steven Auld
User offline. Last seen 6 days 5 hours ago. Offline

Alvaro,

Unfortunately the XER format does not export the Baselines, only the current project, so the fields you are looking for do not exist in the XER file.

Baselines can be exported in the XML format though.

If you need the Baseline values in XER format, then you would need to detach the Baseline Project from your current project then open the file in Primavera, Export then you would need to re-attach the baseline to the original project again.

When you are viewing the Baseline values in Primavera, it is pulling the data from the hidden Baseline Project - this project will not be visible in the Project selection screen until it is detached from the live project.

If you just require limited Baseline data, you could show the columns in a Primavera layout, then export this to excel to give you the data separately - quicker than trying to export the full project.

Hope this helps,

Steven.