Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Copying activities between projects

3 replies [Last post]
Emma Lang
User offline. Last seen 1 year 37 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None

What is the best way to copy a set of activities from one project and pasting them into another in P6?

I have tried exporting as an XER file and importing to the file I want them pasted into. When I pick 'Add into existing Project' it doesn't allow me to select a project to import to. I am also unable to untick the Match box.

Any idea how to fix this?

Replies

Zoltan Palffy
User offline. Last seen 3 days 13 hours ago. Offline
Groups: None

that is the correct answer via WBS 

Santosh Bhat
User offline. Last seen 51 weeks 1 day ago. Offline

Scott has the best answer, open both projects. Then view by WBS, each project will be organised within its own WBS Group (As the Proejct ID is the first level of the WBS also). Then you can just copy and paste, or cut and paste/drag if you need to, between the projects.

Scott Hastie
User offline. Last seen 2 years 27 weeks ago. Offline

I do this on a monthly basis.  I just open both projects in P6, and then copy the WBS's with the activities I need over to the other project.

Or, just simply open both projects, and highlight and copy the activities you want, then paste where you want them in the other project,