Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Export to excel problem

7 replies [Last post]
Bülent TUNÇ
User offline. Last seen 5 years 22 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None
HelloI prepare my schedule on primavera p6... it has 3 wbs levels. All activities in same wbs level has their own IDs (for example superstructural works' ID = SP1000, SP1010, SP1020 in p6 schedule, and finishing works' ID= FNS1000, FNS1010,FNS1020 ...etc.)... and All acitivities has different names... but when I export (File>Export>Export Format (spreadsheet)>...) to excel spreadsheet, some activities are not in order as in primavera schudle (for example, FNS100 and right after I see SP1000 ...and more over WBS order is different also, in p6 wbs order is like that  fizibility, excavation, super structure, finishing works, elekctrical works, mekanical works ...but in exported excel spread sheet the order is different even though the activities under wbs is in order)... I am using to export (rather than coppy and paste) because I want to change some information on excel, then I will import to P6 (to make easier the process) but when activities and wbs is not in order as in p6, the process gets more difficult.. Thanks for your answer !

Replies

Zoltan Palffy
User offline. Last seen 3 weeks 4 days ago. Offline

get it in the order that you want then select all and copy and paset to excel 

Santosh Bhat
User offline. Last seen 1 year 2 weeks ago. Offline

Tunc,

Its just the way databases work, any table of data in its siplest form will not be grouped. 

There is one other thing you can do. 

1) Setup you Activity View Layout in P6 to show the required columns, grouping/sorting and filters for activities. If you need to know more about whats used in Activity Views and Layouts, I wrote this article a few years ago that includes a handy reference sheet: http://www.austprojplan.com.au/primavera-p6-views-and-layouts/

2) In your Activity View in P6 click in the main activity Area. Press CTRL+A to seelct all activities. Then press CTRL+C to copy this list

3) In a new Excel worksheet. CTRL+V to paste this list. The pasted list will now include all your grouping bands and sort the activities as per the layout you saved in the first step.

Note that the First column (typically the Activity ID column) will be indented to represent where it sits in your Grouping. You can usually tidy this up using the Excel TRIM function.

4) Give this list to your users who need to update the data, then you can reference the Activitiy ID's from these sheets back to the XLS export you want to use to re-import back into P6.

Another articles that might help: https://tensix.com/2018/01/how-to-export-import-primavera-p6-schedule-status-using-excel/

IF you want to get more elaborate, then you should consider using tools like Primavera Reader or XER Schedule Toolkit to let others view the schedule, but without needing to use P6.

Bülent TUNÇ

Thank you so much for your answer Santosh !

So there is no way to arrange it as in p6 during to export... it always happens ? or I did something wrong when I was schudling so that this (kind of) error occur?

Santosh Bhat

Tunc, you need to be a little creative in that case.

Use an XLS export as the spreadsheet to use to import the data. Use other spreadsheets to provide the data to your other users, then use formulae to match based on Activity ID's. Then update the XSL export spreadsheeet and re-import that back in.

There are 3rd party software that let you also send out xls files that look like P6 Layouts.

Bülent TUNÇ
Thanks  Santosh Bhat and Zoltan Palffy. I selected a tamplate and sort activity ID and it worked to put activities in order as in p6 schudle but it doesnt work any sort orders for wbs... I have schedule on excel spreadsheet as in same order in p6.I want to update some data on the excel spreadsheet (for easier and faster update, and enable the engineers who doesnt know p6 to update the schudle also) ,and import to my latest schedule to excel and basicly coppy from updated spreadsheet and paste exported spreadsheet and then import into p6... but during exporting somehow order of wbs is still changing... and there are around one thousand activities and it will take long time to change order of activities each time.
Zoltan Palffy
User offline. Last seen 3 weeks 4 days ago. Offline

why not just sort the dat by the column that you want in excel ?

Santosh Bhat

The XLS export format is not deisgned to present like the Activity View in P6, its more suited to exporting a flat list / data table of activities that you can then use for many other purposes in spreadsheets, databases etc. And as such the sort order for the data inthe XLS export will be determined from other datafields from the P6 database, NOT the group/sort you use in the Activity View.

HOWEVER, when you select FILE>EXPORT>XLS>ACTIVTIES>(Select Project)>SELECT TEMPLATE

You can modify the export template being used to change the sort order, you can then specify fields such as the Activity ID to eb the field the list is sorted on. There is no grouping option as the xls export is, as mentioned above, a flat data list.