Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

RISK TYPE Data in exported file

8 replies [Last post]
Solamon T Varghese
User offline. Last seen 5 years 37 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None

Any one can help me with removing RISK TYPE Data from exported file as it is taking long time while importing back and file size also increased.

- I tried delete it in Note but it is giving error while importing back.

Plz help.....

Replies

Zoltan Palffy
User offline. Last seen 4 weeks 2 days ago. Offline

here is a free tool that will clean POBS and Risk Types

http://scheduleanalyzer.com/PurgePOBS.exe

you will have to clean the existing one from with the P6 program by deleting them . Once you have this done then you will not export anyones that are not listed.

Go to Admin Categories then Risk Categories on the left and delete the ones that you do not need

The second part of the solution is to ALWAYS run this tool prior to IMPORTING ANY xer files into your database.

RISK TYPES

New to Version 4.29 is the inclusion of purging unwanted Project Risk Types (and hence the ‘Plus’ in the title). Just as with the POBS record count, a count of the RISKTYPE records is presented. If either POBS or RISKTYPE records are found, the user will see the ‘Purge’ button become active (not dim). Pressing the Purge button will begin the process of purging both types of records from the newly created XER file.

Joel Roberts
User offline. Last seen 14 weeks 6 days ago. Offline

As this is a recuring issue i have detected in several posts on this forum, i am sharing this info to further help any future planners who are looking for answers to this particular question.  

Guide: Remove Risk data

Anthony James
User offline. Last seen 3 years 20 weeks ago. Offline

Hi Solamon,

I recently discovered RISKTYPE(s) were bloating the file size of xer when importing to the DB. I raised this issue with Oracle and was told “A workaround moving forward is to use P6 XML as the import and export file types, as P6 XML will only export risk categories that are associated with a Project. ”

If your restricted to xer files I have a work around that involves Notepad++

If you are using notepad++ you would left click in front of the "%T RISKTYPE" line and select Begin/End Select.

From this point you can use the search function to find the very next "%T" line. After you have found this line, right click at the end of the line right above it and click Begin/End select again.

Hope this helps. 

Solamon T Varghese

Thank you So much for your support. definetly i will look into it.

Greg Horsfall
User offline. Last seen 5 years 38 weeks ago. Offline
XER Manager Professional will safely remove Risk Categories (RISKTYPE) and handle referential integrity. www.executiveportlets.com
Steven Auld
User offline. Last seen 7 weeks 20 hours ago. Offline
If you download the xer file parser from:
http://www.consultaegis.com/software/
This should allow you to open the full XER file in excel & remove the risk data you don’t want & re-create the XER file from there, however this may also take a while to open the file initially.
If removing the full risk data, make sure to search the full workbook to remove all references to the risk data to avoid issues later on.
This version should work with the current erosions of excel.
Steven
Solamon T Varghese
Thank you Steven for your valuable comment.. while importing, the file size has increased and became a huge file... and it is taking a lot of time to upload it back to P6. Sometime the file size is more than 15mb after I delete POBS also... I’m using 8.3 version... we are not using or updating risk sections in primavera, so I thought deleting it will reduce size and file will be easy to handle....
Steven Auld
User offline. Last seen 7 weeks 20 hours ago. Offline

If you are only deleting the RISKTYPE in Note then you have only deleted the Risk Categories & not the actual risks that the data is held in.

The Risk information is held in the PROJRISK table in the XER file, which is likely where the large amount of Data is held - the RISKTYPE table only holds a small amount of Data.

Please note that there are a number of different tables that use the Risk Data stored in the PROJRISK table, so deleting this may also affect other areas as well - this can vary depending on what version of Primavera you are importing which may give additional errors.

If you were just to delete the PROKRISK table completely then you will likely have the same issue with errors that you have now or, if it does import, you may end up with Database corruption issues later on.

Trying to fully remove this information in Note would quite likely take longer than importing the file, as the columns are not aligned under the column headers.

How have you identified the RISKTYPE table as being the issue during Import?

Steven