Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Standalone DB backup solution question

3 replies [Last post]
Craig Graham
User offline. Last seen 1 year 21 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None

Evening

Just thought I'd better check - fairly new to P6 with a basic setup so I've simply enabled Windows' File History to backup the PPMDBSQLite.db to an external HDD on an hourly basis, thinking if there were any irretrievable mistakes, I could then use File History to restore the correct version and open P6 to find it recovered. 

If this works I'm happy to keep it like this, but if this isn't likely to work as a backup/recovery solution I'd need to know now.

Thanks for your help.

Replies

Craig Graham
User offline. Last seen 1 year 21 weeks ago. Offline

Thanks. That is certainly true. I suppose I just wanted to know if I'd overlooked something obvious (eg. "that clearly won't work because the .sqdb file is only one part, and there are many other files in memory that recording an instance would need" etc) and at least without those comments I can proceed to the testing knowing at least there's a possibility.  

Zoltan Palffy
User offline. Last seen 3 days 14 hours ago. Offline

you can also do this through a command line batch file 

David Kelly
User offline. Last seen 1 year 34 weeks ago. Offline

DAvid's Big Book of data processing says only one thing on page one:

IT IS NOT A BACKUP UNTIL YOU HAVE TESTED THE RESTORE

So, your solution is ok, BUT until you have moved the file to another empty P6 installation, and been able to open your projects, it does not count as a backup......