Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

specifications for a contractor to install the latest P6

1 reply [Last post]
John Reeves
User offline. Last seen 1 week 6 hours ago. Offline
Groups: None

I work in a large corporate environment.  We have held off installing the latest p6 version because IT guys are generally not familiar with the software and i am not knowledge on the MS/SQL etc environment.  We currently have the Enterprise/Web version but mainly use the P6 Professional environment.  We only use the Web environment to set up the EPS - that is it.  I need to spec what we want, - any advise and is there any advantages to using the cloud version, logging in from home would be the only advantage I can think of.  My current computer is serving as the server, the IT department said they want to put in on a dedicated server machine - any advice regarding that as well?

Replies

Zoltan Palffy
User offline. Last seen 4 weeks 2 days ago. Offline
Groups: None

you have several options

option #1 host the software on a server service such as load springs

advantage

• no cost for purchasing server and maintenace is by service company
  • can log into server anywhere

disadvantage

• no control of software
  •  crashes and possible slow performance
  • possible security issues with data

option#2 get the dedicated server your company is talking about

advantages

• your IT deptartment  has control over software and hardware for upgrades and maintenance
  • if you set it up correctly you can still remote into the server
  • software is not on your hard drive which makes your computer faster
  • less security issues with data it stays in house

disadvantages

• cost of purchasing server
  • cost to maintian server and trouble shoot issues
  • uses valuable IT resources