Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Primavera P6 and Material Resource

3 replies [Last post]
Emily Foster
User offline. Last seen 1 year 46 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None

Here's how to define and assign material resources in Primavera P6 http://ed.gr/g1zx

Replies

Ali Reza
User offline. Last seen 6 years 8 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None

Dear All, 

I cannot export from P6 to excel and conversely from excel to P6. The below error message shows: 

"Export failed. Unexpected error from external database driver (1) please contact your administrator to correct the problem"

Please help me to solve the problem. 

Thank you

But in most projects it is necessary to know amounts of materials required at any time period and plan supplies!

David Kelly
User offline. Last seen 1 year 37 weeks ago. Offline

One of the problems using material resources is the Duration Type of the Activity. This controls the behavior of all of the resources associated with an Activity.

For example, we go drilling. We have a drilling rig at $100k per day, and $250k of tubulars. Every day we drill it cosrts us $100k, but the materials cost is always $250k no matter how long we spend drilling.

So I like to use "Expenses" for materials. Expenses are always "lump sum" rather than "per diem" no matter what the Duration type of the Activity.  Also it is seldom that I want to "Earn Value" from material resources, and having the cost of Materials as Expenses ratrher than Resources sorts that.....