Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Few points need help

12 replies [Last post]
Andy Hudson
User offline. Last seen 6 years 27 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None

Hi,

There are few points which need your help as I am new to P6. Previously  used asta powerproject.

a) I made few changes in my schedule but dont want to save these changes. How can I do that in P6? 

Previously I used asta which had option save or not saved but in P6 there is no such option to close the project without saving the changes.  P6 auto save the changes which is not required. 

please suggest.

b)How to move the whole project to a new start date? any tip. 

c)How can I hide any single row in P6?

d) How can I do baseline off in my project?

f) How can I do progress off in my whole project?

These all options are easily available in asta powerproject but in p6 facing problem to find the solution of these issues. 

Please help

cheers

Andy 

Replies

Zoltan Palffy
User offline. Last seen 2 days 16 hours ago. Offline

glad I could help all you had to do was follow the instructions in my post 

Andy Hudson

Hi Zoltan,

Thanks a lot. Problem solved.

Regards,

Zoltan Palffy

Andy yes see your email here 

Andy Hudson

Thanks Zoltan 

Tried all but problem not solved to remove data from %Complete Column.

Plesae can I send you  my file to see the issue?

Thanks

Andy Hudson

Thanks Zoltan 

Andy Hudson

Thanks Zoltan 

Zoltan Palffy

Just last 2 questions. Please reply asap. thank you 

a) Regarding ‘How can I do progress off in my whole project?’  means that I assigned the progress to the activities in Performance % complete column. Now I want to remove/clear 

What I think you really mean here is how do I destaus my my schedule ? 

How to de-status a schedule1. Choose Enterprise, Projects and select the Calculations tab. Choose to "Link Budget andAt Completion for not started activities" and "Reset Remaining Duration and Units toOriginal2. Choose View, Columns and add the columns for Actual Labor Units, Actual NonlaborUnits.3. Choose Tools, Schedule and set the data date equal to the Project Start Date and schedule.To find the Project Start date, choose Enterprise, Projects. Click on the Dates tab andnote the Planned Start date.4. For the first activity in the list, set the Actual Labor Units to 0. Highlight the activities inthis column and choose Edit, Fill Down.5. For the first activity in the list, set the Actual Nonlabor Units to 0. Highlight the activitiesin this column and choose Edit, Fill Down.6. Choose Tools, Global Change and run the 1st Global Change. This will set the ActualMaterial Units to zero.7. Run the 2nd global change which sets the activity status to Not Started.

1st Global Change:Subject Area:Activity Resource AssignmentsIf:   Resource Type  equals        MaterialThen:  Actual Material Units        =      0 2nd Global Change Subject Area:ActivitiesIf:Where Activity Status is not equal to Not Started Then: Activity Status = Not Started If this process is not used you may encounyter the error "Cannot set Status to Not Started if activity has actuals  if so run the 3rd Global changeAdd durations to activities by running thsi global change for Not Started ActivitiesSubject Arera;ActivitiesIf:Where Activity status is equal to Not Started Then:Remaining Duration = Original Duration  b)Secondly how to change color of shaded area of Non working days plotted on bar chart? How to do that

if you go to time scale and seclect the date interval of Week/day the non working days should be greyed out 

Andy Hudson

This is the forum where all over the world, expert P6 planners reply the complex inquiries but very surprising to see that no one can reply the simple question. Any issue to answer that question or you cant solve this mystry?

See someone reply it or this question remains unswered?

Thanks.

Andy Hudson

Thanks all for your Help.

Just last 2 questions. Please reply asap. thank you 

a) Regarding ‘How can I do progress off in my whole project?’  means that I assigned the progress to the activities in Performance % complete column. Now I want to remove/clear this assigned progress from all activities to make my programme clear. Note : Programme is without labour, materialand cost. see here for progress column with progress input .. http://ge.tt/98nwzal2  ... need to clear that progress in whole column by using global change

The online circulating fixed criteria does not work for my case as shown in snap 

When activity Status   is not equal to     not started 

Then;

Actual labour units         equal to        zero

Actual non labour unit    equal to        zero

activity status                equal to         not started.

The above global change is showing that error: Cannot set status to Not Started if activity has actuals.

Now what will be the Global Change option  to remove/clear the progress from the whole project from  performance % column? screenshot will be great.

b)Secondly how to change color of shaded area of Non working days plotted on bar chart? How to do that

Cheers,

Andy

Zoltan Palffy

a) I made few changes in my schedule but dont want to save these changes. How can I do that in P6? 

many options here 

option #1

Undo or delete the project

Option #2

this is a relational database it is constantly saving so you really have no option not to save your work

Option #3

Create a reflection project  by going to the Projects directory then highlight the project and right click and select create reflection project. NOW if you are satisfied with the change the reflection project then right click on the project and select merge reflection into source project 

b)How to move the whole project to a new start date? any tip. 

Go to the Projects directory click on the Dates tab and under PLanned Start change the date there

c)How can I hide any single row in P6?

This is not excel it is a databse no such thing as hiding a row everything in the world revolves and the activity ID so just create a filter 

where activity id is not eqaul to (whatever you DO NOT WANT SHOWN)

copy the project then select maintain baseline and then select the project

the select assign baseline 

I do not know what this means

These all options are easily available in P6

AndyMcLellan
User offline. Last seen 6 years 38 weeks ago. Offline

a) I made few changes in my schedule but dont want to save these changes. How can I do that in P6? Previously I used asta which had option save or not saved but in P6 there is no such option to close the project without saving the changes. P6 auto save the changes which is not required. please suggest.

b) How to move the whole project to a new start date? any tip.

• Go to the Projects Tab and change the projects planned start.

• Or amend the earliest driving activity possibly via actual or constraint (eg Contract Award)

• Or reschedule to a realistic data date

c) How can I hide any single row in P6?

• Add UDF and fill with text “hide” then create filter to hide those with UDF= “hide”

• Go to Project….. Maintain Baselines

• Not sure what you mean by this.

If you are going to do work on a P6 schedule and it’s not something you want to keep, create a copy---paste into a sandbox area of the WBS. That way you won’t lose your original. There is no ”save as or “undo” like in Asta

HTH

Andy Hudson

any expert

Please reply the above.. much appreciate