Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Resource Usage Profile - Baseline

7 replies [Last post]
Emma Lang
User offline. Last seen 1 year 41 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None

Hello, 

Is it possible to show the baseline in the resource usage profile in order to show a comparison? All I can see is the budgeted units, actual units etc? 

I'm looking to use this in order to show how certain changes have impacted the schedule and how the man hours have changed since. 

Also, is there a way to put the number of hours per month or week on the graph, i.e below the month? I know this can be done in MSP but I've not found the correct setting in P6 yet (if it exists).

Thanks

Replies

Rafael Davila
User offline. Last seen 10 hours 20 min ago. Offline

Try using contemporaneous methods. 

• Courts and boards hold that contemporaneous schedule updates should be considered in evaluating delay. The Contemporaneous Method is favored because it provides a baseline for measuring delay; the status of the project at the time a delay occurs; the impact of delaying events on remaining work; and insight into float, changes to critical path, and revisions to the plan to complete.
  • You will not have to look at an external baseline because the current updated schedule becomes your baseline.
  • Techniques and Methods for Assessing Delays

Resource allocation substantially influences project time performance. Impractical allocation may account for the project delay. Unfortunately, current schedule analysis often does not consider a project’s resource allocation. This [the following referenced] paper illustrates that resource allocation can affect the results of a delay analysis. Performing a schedule analysis without considering resource allocations may increase the owner’s or contractor’s risk of assuming delay responsibility which is not his or her fault.

Still for some cases non-contemporaneous methods might be preferable or the only option.

I recommend issuing your question under the Claims Forum where you will be exposed to the pros and cons of contemporaneous methods.

In any case I also recommend you figure it out how to compare to initial baseline resource loading.

Good Luck

Emma Lang
User offline. Last seen 1 year 41 weeks ago. Offline

Thanks for the help. 

Basically I'm trying to show delay and disruption within the plan due to client changes / delays. I need to show this in terms of resource and activity. 

Is there an easier way for me to do this without having to restore the baseline, take resource information from that, then the current plan and formatting in excel?

Andrew Podolny
User offline. Last seen 41 weeks 1 day ago. Offline

Zoltan.

Budgeted Units in resource usage spreadsheet/graph have nothing to do with Baseline Units. It's current schedule's budgeted units. You can select different baselines, even use the current schedule as baseline - this doesn't change the look of Resource Graph Budgeted units becasuse they were drawn based on the current schedule data.

Regards, Andrew

Zoltan Palffy
User offline. Last seen 4 weeks 20 hours ago. Offline

Andrew then use resource usage profile and select your resource

Then make sure that a baseline is attached and select Budgeted units and remaining early 

Rafael Davila
User offline. Last seen 10 hours 20 min ago. Offline

If you cannot see the table in any of the available views try creating a report template, then it shall be available at a single click of the mouse.

Good Luck.

Andrew Podolny
User offline. Last seen 41 weeks 1 day ago. Offline

Zoltan - activity usage profile will give you Histogram of all resource assignments to the selected activities - not particular resource.

Emma - the only work around is to manage all through Excel - first get the BL resource distribution then add Progress schedule resource distribution and create graph the way you like.

I don't know why Oracle still not implemented BL data in resource usage spreadsheet/profile.

Andrew

Zoltan Palffy
User offline. Last seen 4 weeks 20 hours ago. Offline

the first answer is use activity usage profile and you can select the baseline and the current histogram and or cummulative curve

the second answer is thet by showing the baseline and the current as listed in the 1st answer you will see these differences

the thrid answer is no but the work around is to select show on bottom resource usage SPREADSHEET and then summarize the values roll it up