Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

User defined field

4 replies [Last post]
Paulina Harea
User offline. Last seen 6 years 45 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None

In previous P6 version I was able to create a User deined filed and select Formula as a filed type option. 

I am now using P6 R16.2 and I don't have this option any more. Does any one now how to set up a formula for a user defined filed in the latest versions of P6

Thank you in advance

Replies

Zoltan Palffy
User offline. Last seen 3 weeks 4 days ago. Offline

yes and no

I checked all there verisons

6.2 does not have this option

8.2 and newer has this option

Alice Skehan
User offline. Last seen 6 years 44 weeks ago. Offline

Based on the Oracle user guide for P6 EPPM, formula fields are an option . . .

Emad Mofarej,PMP,...
User offline. Last seen 2 years 51 weeks ago. Offline

In the P6 EPPM (web version) there is a Formula Type field and users have ability to use this operators in it: ( +, -, *, /, (, and) 

http://docs.oracle.com/cd/E75420_01/English/User_Guides/p6_eppm_user/hel...

As EPPM never seriously used by Schedulers/project controls/Project managers or basically anybody! nobody really knows about its features. 

The Formula Type Field is one of the EPPM features that was there from begining (R8.0) and I beleive it is still there in 16.2.

Unfortunately I don't have access to R16.2 but based on the Oracle P6 EPPM R16.2 the Formula type field is still accessible. 

I think your problem is that you are looking in the wrong place. There is still a Formula Type Field in P6 but not in the Professional/standalone/PC version. It is in the web version as it was from the begining. So close your P6 professional , open your browser and log in P6 EPPM and you can have your Formula Type UDF there.  

If you want your Formula Type UDF in P6 professional you are out of luck. The closest thing to it is the Global Change.

I'm not saying that there is not any workarounds. You can still write a code to access the P6 database direcly or via SDK/ODBC driver and change the records including UDFs in predefined intervals but you need to refresh your p6 after each update to see the change so it is not really the same thing and it involves a fair amount of programming skill and courage:D 

Zoltan Palffy
User offline. Last seen 3 weeks 4 days ago. Offline

I do not know what version that you are talking about but as far back as version 6.2 there is no such thing as a formula TYPE field. You can use a global change to calculate the field value.