Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Change Management in P6

5 replies [Last post]
Tammy Levasseur
User offline. Last seen 6 years 21 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None

I'm looking for a solution for a centralized "Change Management Log".  We have several PM (I'm the project controller) as well as several ongoing projects.  The problem is, even though we have a change management process each PM seems to manage change is his/her own way which in turn makes it difficult for me to manage project to project.

I'm wondering if there is any centralized log in P6 to help with this situation. 

Any thoughts would be appreciated.  How do you manage change on your projects and what tools to you use to keep everything organized.

Thanks

Tammy

Replies

Zoltan Palffy
User offline. Last seen 4 weeks 2 days ago. Offline

I dont think that P6 is your solution for for a different system or look at Primavera Contractor 

David Kelly
User offline. Last seen 1 year 38 weeks ago. Offline

Tammy,

Sorry, I don't have any examples as I work as a consultant and anything I have devised is a client's IP. 

Your surprise at P6 not doing this is universal.  There are some remarkable omissions given how sophisticated some of the features are.  My list of "surprises"

• WBS is project specific
  • No "volume" % complete in the list of over 20 different % completes.  The look on a new client's face when you tell them there is no % complete that describes how much work has been done.....
  • No transaction tracking
  • CPI available for activities but not resources
  • No graphical output that shows both the data range spreadsheet and the histogram/"S" curve on the same sheet of paper.

These (and others) have been with us for 15 years so the list of workarounds is complete.

Tammy Levasseur
I was already considering this as a way to track change so its good to hear that I was at least heading down the right path. We do have a stardard WBS so this structure should mesh well with our current practice. I like that we can link the Change orders into the associated projects.  Very clever. I'll do more investigation on this.  But really P6...??? with all the robustness of this system they couldn't come up with a way to manage change. I can just create UDFs for whatever I want to track in the Change Log. I don't suppose you have any examples? Thanks David Tammy  
Tammy Levasseur
I was already considering this as a way to track change so its good to hear that I was at least heading down the right path. We do have a stardard WBS so this structure should mesh well with our current practice. I like that we can link the Change orders into the associated projects.  Very clever. I'll do more investigation on this.  But really P6...??? with all the robustness of this system they couldn't come up with a way to manage change. I can just create UDFs for whatever I want to track in the Change Log. I don't suppose you have any examples? Thanks David Tammy  
David Kelly
User offline. Last seen 1 year 38 weeks ago. Offline

Tammy,

This is a biggie in P6. There is no “native” way to do this in P6. Stop giggling at the back, Safran users.

The best I can offer is that you create a separate project(s) for growth. All change orders go in here. P6 is real good at multi-project scheduling, in a couple of keystrokes you can chose to see the schedule with or without the growth/change orders. This also lets you play very clever games with Earned Value – the settings in the original project can use BCWS from the baseline, and the growth project can take BCWS from the current project (or you are updating the baseline all the time) This is not entry level P6. Now since the growth is in a separate project, it can have a different security profile, maybe you are the only person allowed to add activities, but each project planner can make relationships with their original schedule?

The only problem is you have a separate WBS for each project – or have you figured out that the corporate WBS should actually be in a P6 Global Activity code to cope with multi-project contracts?

Have fun!