Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Update material resource units

9 replies [Last post]
Anıl Karabulut
User offline. Last seen 7 years 1 week ago. Offline
Groups: None

Hello everyone,

I am trying to update my actual blockwork quantites in p6. My activity type is physical % complete. I have physical % complete values. I manually enter all these values to units %complete in the activity details resource field. I want to have actual quantity that is equal to multiplication of budgeted units and units % complete. For some activities, it works. However, some activities do not give correct results. 

Is there any suggestion?

Replies

Zoltan Palffy
User offline. Last seen 2 days 12 hours ago. Offline

if you have  

recalculate actual costs and units when duration % complete changes

and run the global change it MUST CHANGE

Anıl Karabulut

Yes i run the global change. There is no problem with achieved resource units. However, remaining units are not accurate. I think there is no other way but to update all datas manually. i have many in progress activities and i am told to prepare this p6 file every week. It is a  housing project having 74 buildings :( 

Zoltan Palffy

Unless your ACTIVITY TYPE for ALL of your activites are Resource Dependent then using physical % complete will NOT update the remaining durations.

You can run a global change

where physical % complete is grearter than 0

duration % complete = physical % complete

Anıl Karabulut

these settings are exactly same as your suggestions. it is already arranged like that. In my program i do not update remaining duration. I am interested only in  and update physical % completes from which i would like to get my completed and left units.

Zoltan Palffy

go to the project direactory make sure that you project is highlighted 

click on the calculations tab

look under Resource Assignments 

make sure that subtrat actual from at completion is checked

make sure that recalculate actual costs and units when duration % complete chnages

make sure that link actual and actul this period unist can costs is checked

Anıl Karabulut

Hi Zoltan,

i run the global change and achive correct results for achieved blockwork quantities, i saved my time a lot. Thank you. However my senior engineer realized that remaining units are showing wrong values. 

For example: budgeted unit=1684, actual unit=1633, remaining unit=1118, physical %=%97, duration%=%97 unit%97, unit % for resource=%59.36

Zoltan Palffy
Performance percent complete is used to compute earned value and may be based on the Activity% Complete, on the 0/100 rule, on the 50/50 rule this depends on your setting the technique for computing earned-value percent complete for the activity's WBS. The Performance % Complete specifies what percentage of the activity's planned worth has been earned so far. Summary Performance percent complete when displayed on an organize band, will ALWAYS be calculated as (BCWP • 100) divided bt BAC, regardless of what earned value technique is selected for the activity's WBS.
Anıl Karabulut

Thank you very much Zoltan. One more question if you don't mind me asking.

I copied all the activities along with their physical % completes to the excel sheet. Then i copied budgeted units from resource assingment in p6 file to excel with the same activitiy order. I multiplied budget units with physical % completes, i got an overall % complete. However, this % complete is not matching with the total performance % complete in p6. I know, the performance % complete is related to cost, not quantity. But in any case, i think the % complete should be same? ( i did not update unit % complete)

Zoltan Palffy

is namke sure that ALL of the activities have the % complete type as physical

in your projects directory under the calculations settgin make sure that Recalculate Actual units and costs whne duration % complete changes.

now run a global change

where   physical % Complete is greater than 0

then duration % comeplete = physical % complete