Welcome to Planning Planet, checkout the Guild of Project Controls Knowledge CAR

Export

7 replies [Last post]
adab azeez
User offline. Last seen 9 weeks 3 days ago. Offline

Greetings to all.

I have 4 different packages in a project. each of them are having some WBS and activities correspondingly.

I was aked from my boss to export only one package out of those four packages.

Though I dont know the easiest way so Everytime i make a reflection of my project and delete the packages which are not required and then apply export. So it takes lot of time.

My question is : Is there any simpler method to export a single package out of those four packages of my project ?

Thanks in advance.

Replies

Zoltan Palffy
User offline. Last seen 7 hours 32 min ago. Offline

copy the schedule and then delete what you do not need. If it takes too long to delete or copy then make sure that you do not have any POBS tables in your database. Also perform the copy or delete whatever is taking too long at night right before you go home for the evening. This can run while you are sleeping. 

adab azeez

As usual let me be thankful to you, Zoltan.

After That Specific Sub unit's schedule is approved by the higher level we again merge it to the main schedule. Till now there was no problem detected in following this method. But it kills too much time, thats why tried to know some shortest method. If someone asks for only one portion of entire schedule in xer ? then what could be the best possible method to accomplish it ?

Zoltan Palffy

what you are doing is the cleanest way to only end up with one sub. The problem here is that you can never schedule the project after you delete the subs. Becasue you deleted the work for the other subs any relationships to them is gone.

adab azeez

Thanks Again Zoltan Palffy.

Actually I am working on BBH Unit which has three sub Units 

1. PGU

2. Benzene

3. FPU

Each unit is having a definite number of equpment for maintenance with almost 2000 of activities in each sub unit.

So under a single project name BBH all the three units have been created with thre separate WBS.

All these three Sub units are sharing same Start milestone with certain lags.

Now, each tyme after some modification in the schedule activity, duration or relationship, If i am asked to export a single sub unit like only PGU .I  Simply create a reflection and Delete the unwanted units (here I would delete Benzene & FPU)...

So isn't there any shortest method for export xer so that i could not create any reflection or no need to delete. direct export with the specific selection.

Zoltan Palffy

I am not sure what that gets you. Why are you putting start and finish milestone too in order to match with original package. 

when you udate a schedule you shoudl put actual start and finsh dates on activiities.

adab azeez

Thank s a lot Zoltan Palffy for your reply. I change Data Date and put start and finish milestone too in order to match with original package. So this portion becomes same as the parent project.

Zoltan Palffy

When you use this method and delete the other packages you can NEVER schedule it again bcasue the realtionships to the other packages are no longer there. 

What is the intended use of the single package ? Can you just export this singlew package information to Excel  ?