Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Calendars & Activities Codes

22 replies [Last post]
Steve Morris
User offline. Last seen 3 years 30 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None

Hi Guys,

I am new to P6 and was hoping that someone could answer a few questions that I have please?

I am running Primavera P6 Standalone in 8.2

I have imported an old project that I worked on and am trying to replicate it to gain experience.

1. When I import the XER file will the calendar that was created originally be kept after import?

2. When I change the calendar in the project that I am recreating I change the calendar to five days plus 2 weeks xmas in user preferences but when I add an activity it shows corporate calendar. Do I need to change to the five days plus xmas?

3. I have added my own activity codes but don't want to keep them in the order of the numbering system but my arrows on the right side of P6 are greyed out. How can I move the order of the activities?

I hope that you don't mind my three questions. I thought that it was better than wrting three posts.

Thanks in advance.

Replies

Zoltan Palffy
User offline. Last seen 4 weeks 2 days ago. Offline

Steve 

even though the activity codes are in the dictionary they will not show on the drop down until one code for that category is has been assigned to an activity. Therefore when you try to assign a code you have to select the upside down triangle and select display filter by all values. The next time you go to assign this codes to an activity the codes will be visible. 

Zoltan Palffy

Steve 

even though the activity codes are in the dictionary they will not show on the drop down until one code for that category is has been assigned to an activity. Therefore when you try to assign a code you have to select the upside down triangle and select display filter by all values. The next time you go to assign this codes to an activity the codes will be visible. 

Steve Morris

Thanks for your help David. :)

Syed Afroz ahmed
User offline. Last seen 7 years 26 weeks ago. Offline

Hello Friends,

Myself Syed Afroz and I am new to P6 and was hoping that someone could answer a few questions that I have please? 

I have to make the weekly and monthly reports in p6, can anyone explain about the reports.

David Kelly
User offline. Last seen 1 year 38 weeks ago. Offline

Steve,

Typing new activity codes in "on the fly" is a new-ish feature in P6 that is SO contrary to the underlying philosophy that I have never used it.  I will investigate tomorrow and revert - just about to give a P6 course!!

Steve Morris

Aha. That was the point that I was trying to make David. That is why I did not understand your explanation. The person that bulit the programme must have typed in each activity code manually.

So how did they manage to shift activities around so that they were not in the order of numbering? IE: ascending or descending.

I thought that I understood you. If there were a dictionary of activity codes I change to "all values" and bingo, arrows are available.

But this is not the case here.

David Kelly

Steve,

I can see the project-specific dictionary screen shot, but no actual values in the dictionary?

Steve Morris

https://we.tl/BLmRcdJNDR

Added a link. For some reason attaching pictures does not always work.

David Kelly

2016-09-04_10-50-31.jpg

David Kelly

Steve,

I can't see the image you posted.

Steve Morris

David, I have revisited your post and thought that I would attach a screenprint of the area I believe that you said to make changes. Perhaps when you see it you will understand my confusion.

When you talk about a dictionary of codes I understand this to mean whatever the scheduler has created in the programme and would be where the screenprint is. 

activity_codes.png

David Kelly

Steve,

My stand-alone P6 is 16.1.  There is an excellent post on the tensix website (an American Primavera reseller, who post here regularly)  that describes how to install P6 stand-alone using SQL Express. This is what I followed to get all of the P6 facilities (including baseline update) in a stand-alone environment.

I cannot recomend it highly enough.  If you can do a wee bit of Windows stuff, in fact even if you have to queue for some IT help, this is THE way to run P6 stand alone. 

Steve Morris

Zoltan, I can't follow your advice because as David stated, I am installed in standalone mode and therefore the security options are not there.

Steve Morris

David,

I am installed as a standalone with SQlite.

Zoltan Palffy

check with who ever installed the software they should be able to change this for you 

David Kelly

Steve,

If you are in a very modern version (15+) and have installed stand alone using the SQL lite database option, then there is only one user who is a "super" user. No security granulation. 

Steve Morris

Hi Zoltan,

Although I am logged in as an Admin I have not got access to security options.

admin.png

Zoltan Palffy

1. When I import the XER file will the calendar that was created originally be kept after import?

This depends on what the default is set to but choose not to import it during the importing process

2. When I change the calendar in the project that I am recreating I change the calendar to five days plus 2 weeks xmas in user preferences but when I add an activity it shows corporate calendar. Do I need to change to the five days plus xmas?

That is only 1/3 of the process you have to also ASSIGN the activities to the proper calendar. You can add a column and choose calendar then click in the column and select the correct calendar then hold the shift key and scroll to the bottom then right click and select fill down. You also have to go to PROJECTS make sure that your project is highlighted click on the Defaults tab an on the right you can assign the new calendar there. This was any newly activities added will automatically be assigned to the new calendar.

3. I have added my own activity codes but don't want to keep them in the order of the numbering system but my arrows on the right side of P6 are greyed out. How can I move the order of the activities?

It appears that you do not have the rights to do this this. Go to Admin security profiles and make sure that Edit project codes is checked next to Has Privilege

David Kelly

Goto “Enterprise : Activity Codes”

Select the correct radio button – Global, EPS, or Project. P6 maintains three separate sets of codes.

The pick list will let you chose your specific code.

As always when displaying a dictionary of code values, the layout control bar at the top of the display will show either “Current Projects’ values” or “All values”

Only when “All Values” are shown can you use the navigation buttons to change the collating sequence

Right click in the middle of the display of values to access “Filter by”

Steve Morris

David,

Forgive my lack of umnderstanding but I could not follow through your explanation of item three. Could you explain again please?

I have managed toopen up activity codes and right clciked in the window and changed the filtering to all values but I don't understand your next logic to make the greyed out arrows visible.

Thanks.

Steve Morris

Thanks David.

David Kelly

Wow Steve, you are clearly a bit of a newbie!

I would recomend Paul Harris's book on Primavera as the perfect bedtime read. Get the correct version for your revision of P6.

1) Yes

2) yes. Or go to the "defaults" tab in the "projects" window and change the default calander for your project

3) when you have the dictionery of activities code shown, filter for "all values " (right click in table) and the arrows are "un-grayed"