Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Resource and cost Allocation

7 replies [Last post]
mohamed civil
User offline. Last seen 7 years 22 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None

Can you please tell me how to assign cost and resources in very fast way in Primavera P6?

Someone told me assigning in excel and importing into primavera P6 is the easiest method in order to do resource or cost allocation.I don't know how to perform that.Please someone tell me the procedure of that.

If you have any easier methods to assign resources and cost,please tell me.

I'll be thankful for you for your sharing...

Please explain the procedure in step by step

Replies

Zoltan Palffy
User offline. Last seen 3 days 21 hours ago. Offline

make sure that the project is open and you can not modify any columns or heading in the excel file only the data. Also anyt columns with and * asterick can not be imported. 

also make sure that you have the proper rights to import the resource this is in the adminstrative portion under Admin

Security profiles

adab azeez
User offline. Last seen 2 years 14 weeks ago. Offline

hello zoltan palffy 

I tried to import one excel file but it is not showing the destination to which it was supposed to be be imported. the window shows the following page. (please see the image). hope you would help me reach at some result.

Thanx in advance.

import_error.jpg

Zoltan Palffy
User offline. Last seen 3 days 21 hours ago. Offline

create a resouce all it lump sum

default units/day would be 8

make sure that calcluate cost from units is not selected

filter for all activities

select all activities (make sure that they are highlighted)

right click assign resource select LUMP sum

done

now select file export

select xls excel

export resources and resouce assignments 

modify the export to include resouce name, resource type, resource id, budgeted units and budgeted costs

export to excel and populate the correct uits and cost in excel

save file

import form excel 

select resource assignments

import the excel file.

if the info does not import run a global change

where

calculate costs from units equal yes 

calculate costs from units = no

committ the changes

done 

Robert Bell
User offline. Last seen 5 years 38 weeks ago. Offline

You can do it by following the step by step guide here;

http://www.toolboxforplanning.com/2012/01/how-to-import-activity-resource-data.html

You need to export to excel first and then modify that file before re-importing it. You just have to be careful that the values you modify are recognised by the various dictionaries in P6 so these will need to be fully set up first.

The other thing is you need the correct access rights (Superuser) to be able to Import XLS files. Otherwise you won't be able to do this.

mohamed civil

Can yo tell me the method of loading resources by using Excel?

Robert Bell
User offline. Last seen 5 years 38 weeks ago. Offline

It depends what outcome you're after. If you have a sequence of duplicated sections for repetitive work then loading one section with your resources, budgeted units and costs, then copying and pasting the activities could work?

You can also assign resources to as many activities at a time as you wish by simply highlighting them first and then adding the resource(s) you want. This is quicker than line by lining it as often the works with the same resource will be grouped together by WBS or can be filtered on key wording or activity codes.

mohamed civil

Please,Can anyone hlp me by sharing his/her experience with me regarding the above question??