Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Float affected by external projects

3 replies [Last post]
Thomas Nicholson
User offline. Last seen 20 weeks 1 day ago. Offline
Groups: None

Afternoon all,

I have a project plan from a contractor which I have linked directly to my plan so it drives my dates when I F9 my plan.  However the contractor is saying he's seeing negative float appearing in his plan and we're wondering if this can be caused by linking it to mine.   The links only go one way from his to mine just to update certain milestones in my plan to make it easier for people to see and our central reporting to pull those dates out and report on them.

Is this a possibility, I can't see how but I'd rather not affect his details so want to be sure.

thanks in advance,

Thom

Replies

Ronald Weaver
User offline. Last seen 2 years 43 weeks ago. Offline

No

when he F9s, have him not open your file and select "Ignore relationships to and from other projects" (non opened projects)

you can then choose to not ignore when you F9

are these interdependency milestones constrained? if so, STOP that! use a variance against baseline targets for reporting and allow the true successor relationship with your project to drive the float back into his project. Just my opinion.

Zoltan Palffy
User offline. Last seen 4 weeks 1 day ago. Offline

your successor is a predecessor to his work. you also have the option to turn off the external relationships within oyur project. 

Thomas Nicholson
User offline. Last seen 20 weeks 1 day ago. Offline

Hi Zoltan,

My project only has successors from his project, nothing goes from mine to his it's purely to update dates in mine once he has updated them in his.

I will tell him to try the ignore relationships, however will this then stop his updating mine?

cheers

Thom

Zoltan Palffy
User offline. Last seen 4 weeks 1 day ago. Offline

1. make sure that that data dates are the same 

2. have him look at his negative float activities and look at the predecessor activities add a column in the predecessor window that shows the project and see if the predecessors that are driving and critical are coming form your project.

3. go to schedule then options then check ignore relationships to and from other projects then press f9 and see if the negative float is still there.