Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Problem with Primavera P6 version 8.3.2

2 replies [Last post]
Mohsen Ashiani
User offline. Last seen 8 years 33 weeks ago. Offline

Dear all,

I am using P6 version 8.3.2. I loaded one non-labour unit as weight factor for activities. Activity types are fixed duration and unit. After a few updates, now I see in my schedule, all the non-labour units assignment has changed which means weight factors have changed. Also I see some budgeted labour units with the actual while there is no labour resource.

Have you guys ever seen such a problem with your primavera? If yes, how did you solve it?

I really appreciate your comments.

Regards,

Replies

Jose Frade
User offline. Last seen 3 years 6 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None

Helo Mohsen,

The reason for that is P6 does not work like you are assuming.

After loading the non-labor units, I assume you entered the % progress on units progress.

Based on this, the first time you enter a % progress (day 10%) for non-labor units P6 calculates correctly and places the 10% of non labor units on actual, keeping the non-labor units at completion equal to the budgeted units. The actual at completion is the value that P6 uses for computing the relative weights till summary level, as basis for progress calculation.

The error you described starts with the second value of progress (say changing the 10% to 20%). The calculation is made not anymore based on budgeted non-labor but on actual non-labor field which makes the value at completion not anymore equal to the budget you entered (thus changing the relative weight of the activity)

Several ways allow to correct the problem. One simple method is before registering the new progress enter a 0% (Zero %). After the zero enter the new value (in previous example it should be, 10 -> 0 - 20)

values passing from non-labor to labor units I never saw. Most logical explanation coming to my mind: could it be a mistake when entering the units in the wrong field ?

Hope it helps

JMFrade

Zoltan Palffy
User offline. Last seen 3 weeks 3 days ago. Offline
Groups: None

change the duratrion type to fixed duration and units/time