Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Project Structure in P6

2 replies [Last post]
Mallorie Koch
User offline. Last seen 8 years 37 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None

Hi All

I have a very unique scenario where we have introduced P6 in a simple form into a PMO that manages the repair and rebuild of earthquake damaged homes.

Currently I have set up each address as a separate project in the EPS. I ahve done this for several reasons:

Each contract is independant- has an independent scope, budget and resources

Contracts come through intermittently and without notice

Each address is updated at a different time depending on when the project manager has visited the site.

Each contract has a schedule baseline set upon the signing of the contract

The powers at be are now arguing that we should roll the projects that we currently have underway into one singular project in P6 - creating the level one WBS as each address with the respective programmes under each WBS - so that we can assign a singular baseline to the group of projects and to report on progress from a higher level.

I am struggling to understand how we will be able to update and schedule individual addresses as we receive updates from the PM's and record the forecast completion date of that address without affecting the other 160 odd address. Also, each address currently has a baseline assigned, is it possible to keep these baseline dates assigned to each project as we roll it into one project, creating an over arching baseline from these existing dates?

Another point is that currently if we deviate massively from the project baseline each planner has the ability to rebaseline the singular address and apply it as a user baseline creating a more useful tool for the project manager to monitor progress from a singular point without affecting the project baseline - is it possible to apply a user baseline to a singular WBS?

What are your thoughts on the structuring, what are the risks and benefits you can see form each structure and do you have any tips on how to manage this singular project if the powers at be have their way?

Replies

Zoltan Palffy
User offline. Last seen 3 weeks 3 days ago. Offline
Groups: None

I agree with Ray but you might be able to setup the esp such that it is by geographical location or area or some breakdown maybe by responsible Project Manager. 

You can always roll up the data as Ray suggested. You also have the use of the Protfolios where you can filter these based on any criteria that you would like.

you can archive any schedule as a baseline.

I am not sure what you mean by "is it possible to apply a user baseline to a singular WBS?" all the wbs is a way to organize your data.

If you go to projects directory you can then go to layout and select project grouped by status

the select group and sort you can select show grand totals show summaries only. Then depending on your eps you can summarize by eps level to get one bar for each project or subproject depending on the level that you indent to.

Raymund de Laza
User offline. Last seen 30 weeks 6 days ago. Offline
Suggest that you can keep it as it and when generating reports for management, you need to open all projects at the same time. you can assign baseline to each individual project accordingly. to roll up the summary for all, just show the total from group n sort window. regards,