Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Resources on LOE Activities

2 replies [Last post]
Utku Çil
User offline. Last seen 9 years 28 weeks ago. Offline

Hi there,

I am trying to set up a detailed schedule for an infrastructure project nowadays and my problem is about assigning a resource (say, Project Manager) to a Level of Effort activity. When I assign the resource to the activity, the budgeted units value is distributed uniformly over the duration of the task. However, I do not want to have it that way, so I go to the resource assingment window and manually adjust the manhour for each day. So far so good.

My problem begins when I schedule the program. As soon as I press F9 and run the schedule, all the adjustment I manually made on the manhours assigned to the LOE activity has gone. Again, P6 distributes budgeted units over the task span and I return to the beginning.

Is a there way that I can fix the manhours (manually adjusted) assigned to the LOE activity?

PS: I am still in the planning phase. So, no actual units/costs has been presented in the schedule.

Thanks in advance.

Regards.

Utku

Replies

Dieter Wambach
User offline. Last seen 7 years 5 days ago. Offline

Hi Utku

The way you assign the resources in my opinion doesn't fit to LoE - fixed versus variable duration. If you'll use an activity with a fixed duration, a curve will - roughly - work.

A resource-curve for LoE won't be reliable.

An assignment by period is only possible in the web-based user interface - to which you should have access.

Regards

Dieter  

Zoltan Palffy
User offline. Last seen 4 weeks 3 days ago. Offline
Groups: None

why not assign a curve to the resouce for the LOE to have it distrubite budgeted unts the way that YOU want it ?