Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

P6 Checkout Feature

4 replies [Last post]
Tom Tom
User offline. Last seen 5 years 39 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None

Can someone explain how the checkout feature works and a good example where it will be useful. I know when someone checkout a project it becomes readonly so that noone can modify it until it is checked back in. Primavera gave an example where a scheduler checkout a project on a company server if he is going to a project site where there is no or limited network. My question is how can the scheduler run primavera without access to the server since he is on a jobsite without network. Primavera is set up to only run only runs on a server so how can he run the program without connecting to a server. I remember the login screen always ask what database Im connecting to

Replies

Zoltan Palffy
User offline. Last seen 3 weeks 4 days ago. Offline

glad we could help

Elshad Huseynli
User offline. Last seen 7 years 12 weeks ago. Offline
This really helped me, than you very much
Zoltan Palffy
User offline. Last seen 3 weeks 4 days ago. Offline

there are several ways to use this feature

Scenario #1

Since it is a relational database several people can work in it at the same time. To ensure that what you are doing in the database doesn't get undone by someone else you can check it out and work on it exclusively. They can still look at the schedule but they will not be able to write to it during the time that the project is checked out. 

Scenario #2

The schedule is housed on a server with several other projects. You can check out the project and work on it locally at home or where you do not have access to the server maybe out on the projetc site.

Scenario #3

You can check out the schedule and give it to a subcontractor to work on locally on his computer then check it back in after the subcontractor has made his input.

Scenario #4

After the baseline has been approved you can check it out to ensure that NO chnages wil be made to it unless you check it back it.

I can go on and on but you get the jist of it 

Dieter Wambach
User offline. Last seen 7 years 12 hours ago. Offline

Tom

Since Oracle bought Primavera all licenses where transferred to "named". So there is no license problem to install a stand-alone version onto your pc. During start you can change from local to server database and vice versa.

Regards

Dieter