Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Changes to Late Dates after Progress Only Update

3 replies [Last post]
Alan Whaley
User offline. Last seen 3 years 5 days ago. Offline
Groups: None

Dear Gents,

Could anyone assist me in understanding way late start/finish dates would change in a progress-only update.

I assumed that they would remain constant so long as the logic remained intact. However there seems to be some impact from progress/out of sequence.

What are the main causes of late-date changes through progress only updates?

Thanks

Alan

Replies

Gary Whitehead
User offline. Last seen 4 years 46 weeks ago. Offline

Alan,

In that case it is probably down to OOS working.

Cheers,

G

Alan Whaley
User offline. Last seen 3 years 5 days ago. Offline
Groups: None

Thanks Gary,

Actually I probably should have made it a little clearer. I'm trying to understand why the late dates would change without any changes to logic, calenders etc. Just changes to the duration % / remaining duration and data date.

Also I should have mentioned that the project comlpletion is fixed with a 'finish on' constraint, which drives the float negative due to delays.

On that basis the late dates should remain more constant, but I still see changes from update to update.

Hope that's a bit clearer!

Thanks

Alan

Gary Whitehead
User offline. Last seen 4 years 46 weeks ago. Offline

Alan,

There are a whole host of reasons why late dates could change during an update (changes to calendars, constraints, OOS working ,etc), but at the most basic level:

Late dates are calculated using the "backwards pass method"

The starting point for this backwards pass calculation is the project completion date calculated during the "forward pass"

The "forward pass" calculation (which calculates your early dates) will be affected by progress-only updates

Or to put it another way: if after updating progress, your project completion is 5 days later than previously, each of your incomplete activities can now finish 5 days later than previously without further delaying the project (which is the definiton of late finish)

You mention OOS, so without going into too much detail: If you have OOS, your early, dates, late dates and hence total float calculations are all suspect.

How and why this is so is a bit complex and depends on your scheduling options -retained logic,  progress overide, etc (I go expand on this explanantion if required), but the simple fix is to go back and correct your historical logic links to reflect what actually happened. This will clear your OOS errors and get you back on the straight and narrow wrt early & late dates.

Cheers,

G