Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Capacity planning by task priority

No replies
S K
User offline. Last seen 7 years 6 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None

Hello all,

I am rather new to project management and MS project with only a few months experience in an assisiting role. My company is using MS project 2013 and after some intro and self-learning a found myself challenged when trying to introduce a dynamic capacity planning of personnel resources according to task priority and would highly appreciate your insights.

Here is the situation: About 50% of my capacity per SW release would be booked by high priority tasks, while the other half should be filled with second highes priority etc. However, I wondered if it was possible to show "available resource capacity" vs. "sum of effort of assigned tasks by resource" according to a filter (like priority).

So, ideally I would like to manipulate the "priority" column in the first table below and should get sth. like an automatically updated pivot table (my current work around in excel) that shows me that:

1. if I assign priority 1 to Mark and he has a capacity of 2 days, there is a positive delta btw. effort and capacity (2nd table)

2. if I assign priority 1 to only task 2 or 3 than Eva can fulfill either, again a positive delta

3. if I assign priority 1 to both tasks 2 and 3 than Eva can't fulfill them together, negative delta

Example table in ms project
#task nameresource nameeffort (in PD)priority
1abcMark21
2defEva42
3ghiEva31

Example availability of resources

#nameavailabilty (in PDs)
1Mark2
2Eva2

Questions:

1. Is that possible?

2. How do you deal with those situations?

3. Better software for aligning project plan and resource planning?

Thanks in advance for your support!

BR Stefan