Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

How to show a Gantt Chart with all successors from a specific task ?

2 replies [Last post]
Philippe Cattelain
User offline. Last seen 38 weeks 1 day ago. Offline

Bonjour,

Is there an easy way to display on a Gantt Chart all the successors of a specific task ? (a line of descend from a task)

The goal is to show all potential impacts if a task is delayed, before it reaches the critical path

Any suggestion will be much appreciated

Best Regards

Philippe

Replies

Philippe Cattelain
User offline. Last seen 38 weeks 1 day ago. Offline

Thank you, Tom

Tom Boyle
User offline. Last seen 3 weeks 1 day ago. Offline
Groups: None

1. If you are using MSP 2013 or later, then the "Task Path" command will allow you to highlight the successor chain on the Gantt chart.  There is no associated data field that you could filter on, however, so any filtering would need to be manual.

2.  One Microsoft MVP (Jack Dahlgren) wrote a logic tracing macro (VBA) some years ago and shared it on his web site:  http://masamiki.com/project/macros.htm  Standard advice in the MSP community has been to refer to that site, but it seems to be down at the moment.  I think there are a few others you could hunt for.

3.  You could write your own logic-tracing macro.  Rod Gill's book (VBA Programming for Microsoft Project) includes sample code as an instructional exercise.

4.  You could try one of the commercially available MSP add-ins for logic analysis.  ProjectPro Complete Critical Paths (www.ProjectProCorp.com) and Driving Path Widget (www.projectwidgets.com) are two that may be worth considering….

I included simple logic tracing as a freeware feature in one of my own add-ins (BPC Logic Filter), but it is not commercially available at this time.