Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Microsoft Project Server 2013 - Advantages and Disadvantages

3 replies [Last post]
Rami Ilan
User offline. Last seen 8 years 48 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None

Hi

My company is looking for an Enterprise PM tool.

I would like to get feedback on Advantages and Disadvantages of Microsoft Project Server 2013

Thanks

Rami

Replies

Jigs Gaton
User offline. Last seen 4 years 23 weeks ago. Offline

I agree with everything that Jack Black lists above, and would only add that MS Project Server (and all others) are in the middle of a huge update to 2016. Installing MS Project Server on premises is no slight task, as it requires the MS Server, an SQL server, and a Sharepoint server as pre-reqs. Depending on what you already have in-house, it may be a breeze to install the PWA, or a nightmare. Sharepoint expertise is required :) Cheers,

Jigs

Jigs Gaton
User offline. Last seen 4 years 23 weeks ago. Offline

I agree with everything that Jack Black lists above, and would only add that MS Project Server (and all others) are in the middle of a huge update to 2016. Installing MS Project Server on premises is no slight task, as it requires the MS Server, an SQL server, and a Sharepoint server as pre-reqs. Depending on what you already have in-house, it may be a breeze to install the PWA, or a nightmare. Sharepoint expertise is required :) Cheers,

Jigs

Jack Black
User offline. Last seen 8 years 1 week ago. Offline

Hi Rami,

I will give you some bullets:

Advantage:

• Relatively inexpensive compared to some of the bigger EPM Systems
  • Fundamentally integrated with Microsoft Project (a well known product)
  • Leverages SharePoint for Project Sites (again a well known product)
  • Integrated Workflow
  • Can be used to plan and manage all work and resources
  • Possible to be up and running quickly

Disadvantages:

• There are some built in reports, but usually reports need to be developed in SSRS
  • Some operations seem to take a good number of clicks

If you want to see a demo of Project Server 2013, try these guys:

http://www.pcubed.com/services/enterprise-project-delivery/project-tool-solutions