Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

"Resource Loading Report" in MSP

6 replies [Last post]
Shane Harding
User offline. Last seen 12 years 44 weeks ago. Offline
Greetings all:

I am trying to run a report similar to P3’s Tabular Report of Resource Loading to create S-Curves, Baselines, etc.

What would be the function or easiest way to achieve this in MSP?

Thanks in advance.

Shane

Replies

Paul Smith
User offline. Last seen 12 years 26 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None
I also use Jaya’s method.

Just copy and paste from the Task Usage view into excel and produce curves
J Venkatesh PMP P...
User offline. Last seen 10 years 46 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: GPC Qatar
View > Task Usage Sheet...Somehoow equal to the Tabular > Resource loading comment in P3

Regards

Venkat
James Griffiths
User offline. Last seen 15 years 11 weeks ago. Offline
Hi Alexandre,

Actually, using Analyse Data In Excel IS very easy. You can select specific activities, the whole project,individual resources etc. Once the raw data is in Excel, you can manipulate the data as you wish. Ok, it might not always automatically do everything your heart desires, but no software ever does. In less than ten minutes, I’ve been able to produce stacked-histograms for 30+ resources. Ultimately, you have to consider what information is genuinely useful. Just because the software can give you the same information in 5000 different ways, it doesn’t mean that it is of any great use. My analogy is the use of automatic windscreen-wipers on some cars. Basically, they are f***ing useless. I’ve never yet found them making the decision to start and stop at the time I would want them. So, just because something can be done, it doesn’t mean it is of any real benefit.

Cheers.

James.
Paul Harris
User offline. Last seen 1 year 6 days ago. Offline
You may also want to try downloading a trial copy of DecisionEdge from www.decisionedge.com which has some great reporting features that are far better than MSP2007.

Paul E Harris
Eastwood Harris Pty Ltd, Melbourne, Australia
Planning and Scheduling Training Manual & Book Publishers & Consulting
www.eh.com.au
James Griffiths
User offline. Last seen 15 years 11 weeks ago. Offline
Hi Shane,

The best way is via the "Analysis" toolbar. You can "Analyse Data In Excel". Very simple, very straightforward. MSP/Excel does all the work for you, formats the data and generates the graph.

HTH.

James.