Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Updating Schedule

18 replies [Last post]
moutaz aldeib
User offline. Last seen 2 years 26 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None
Dear Planners,
I am using P3 and have very few experience on MSP, I have some questions tried to look for answers:

1-After saving baseline, you should update the schedule by using tracking tasks, then how to make schedule "to have updated or current schedule" or the schedule is being run automatically. In P3 after you update the schedule we use Schedule Icon or F9 to schedule against Data Date "Status Date"

2-After having the updated schedule, how to show the baseline schedule.

3-for loading resources in MSP, the max unit for resource is percentage, what if I want to load it by hours which is more logical than percentage.

4-In Gantt Chart view, how to assign column for Task ID "In P3 Activity ID"

Regards

Replies

Shree Abdullah
User offline. Last seen 3 years 42 weeks ago. Offline

Hello,

I am facing a problem updating my schedule. my Project is behind schedule and finish date is sliped ahead than baseline finish date. Now I update my schedule after 1 week, so the finish date must slip by 7 days. But it slip more than 7 days and kept on increasing each week. last week it slipped by 8 days this week it did by 10 weeks. I dont understand why this is happening. I checked activities with lag, and there is no lag. I cannot understand what seems to be the issue here. Kindly help me out.

Thank you

Shree Abdullah
User offline. Last seen 3 years 42 weeks ago. Offline

Hello,

I am facing a problem updating my schedule. my Project is behind schedule and finish date is sliped ahead than baseline finish date. Now I update my schedule after 1 week, so the finish date must slip by 7 days. But it slip more than 7 days and kept on increasing each week. last week it slipped by 8 days this week it did by 10 weeks. I dont understand why this is happening. I checked activities with lag, and there is no lag. I cannot understand what seems to be the issue here. Kindly help me out.

Thank you

James Griffiths
User offline. Last seen 15 years 14 weeks ago. Offline
Hi Moutaz,

MSP is perfectly correct in its logic and calculations. However, it must be remembered that MSP works in very specific ways – which are very different to P3. In MSP, you either have DURATION or WORK (man-hours). The Status Date is generally used only for EV calculations. Attempting to use it to automatically calculate any form of physical progress and re-scheduling will get you into a lot of trouble.

In MSP, the “% Complete” applies ONLY to the DURATION of the activity. It does NOT apply to the Physical % complete or the % WORK COMPLETE. In general, the MSP equivalent of Physical % Complete is the WORK (man-hours). Had the man-hours been input, and you inserted Actual Hours to the value of 75% of the total hours (within the first 2 days), then MSP would have re-calculated the end-date. However, this re-calculation would have depended upon the choice of TASK TYPE eg. Fixed Duration, Fixed Work or Fixed Units.

In your particular instance, you have specified a duration of 4 days. You will notice that, when you input the 75% complete, the progress-bar showed 3 days out of 4. What you actually did was indicate that 75% of the DURATION had been completed [Actual Duration = 3 days]. It assumes, therefore, that you will complete the remaining 25% over the remaining duration of 1 day. If you input 75% complete (duration) and attempt to bring-forward the end-date to 12/09/05(because you believe that you are ahead of schedule) then MSP will immediately change your % Complete to 100%. This is a normal error that most people make. In fact, people who have used MSP for years still fail to apply the correct interpretation and the correct methodology to update the schedules. Using man-hours works extremely well and, as long as it is done properly, it will do an adequate job.

There are ways to be able to manipulate it so that you can assume that % COMPLETE is equal to Physical % complete – but that is a different story.

Although I don’t think that this solves your problem, it might help to understand why you have encountered it.

James.
vinod raturi
User offline. Last seen 6 years 3 weeks ago. Offline
Hi James ,

You are correct , actually i am doing these charts in very detail. The reason being i am on field , and at the same time clients expeditor is also stationed full time with us . So generally, he is not much interested in %age updating of overall activity . He keeps an eye for sequence too.That is where the problem starts. Almost 80 percent of time there are changes in sequence . Resulting in termendous effort spent on changing these tasks in MSP.

We are fabricating 12 vessels here ( in saudi arabia ) and Charts for each vessel has on an average 1000 activity.( which is too much for me , especially i am working on MSP only since jan 2006 , and still learning about it and the worst of all , we dont have formal planning department , that means i cannot ask anyone there with regard to MSP application . This being the main reason of me joining PP)

I guess you are right either i have to trim my programmes a bit or find other way of keeping records.

Thanks,
James Griffiths
Hi Vinod,

If you have saved the programme with a baseline, then your original sequence will be preserved. If you have no baseline, then you may wish to save the programme separately - just to act as a record.

From a personal point of view: If all the work has been completed, then I wouldn’t bother changing the Actual schedule sequence unless it is essential for some other reason. You could, however, make a note of the change in each of the NOTES area.

If the work is ongoing, then you have no choice but to amend the logic sequence in the programme. For instance, the successor to Shell 3 will now be the successor to Shell 1.

If you are facing such a problem on a daily basis, I would ask whether you are trying to programme too much detail. In this case, it might be better to just have a single task saying: "Fabricate and Assemble Shells 1, 2 and 3". Your activity end-date will then be based on the completion date of the last Shell, regardless of the acutal sequence of joining. It can save huge amounts of time and will give you exactly the same result.

HTH.

James.
moutaz aldeib
Dear All,

James,
thanks for your interest. i am using MSProject 2002.
The small project contains only three tasks:

1-the status date was set 11/09/2005 by using "project information"
2-tasks are:
task "a" 4days-early start 10/09/2005-early finish 13/09/2005.
3-task "b" 4days-early start 14/09/2005-early finish 18/09/2005.
4-task "c" 4days-early start 19/09/2005-early finish 23/09/2005.
the relationships between all tasks are FS

I saved baseline then it is time to update the project.
by using "Update Task" I input 75% percent complete for task "a" and the actual start is 10/09/2005, I left the actual duration and the remaining duration, MS is showing only the progress bar but the completion date has not changed "13/09/2005"-the logic says I should not use the actual duration or remainig as the status date is there and the completion date of the task should be 12/09/2005"

Hoping to receive your comments.
vinod raturi
User offline. Last seen 6 years 3 weeks ago. Offline
Hi ,

Can someone tell me , how to update when there is a major change in sequence itself.

For eg If I tell client my first step is to join shell 1 & shell 2 and then i will join shell 3.

But due to some reason , my actal sequence on field becomes joining shell 3 & shell 2 first and then joining shell 1.

How to record & reflect such changes in MSP.

This is major problem i face every day in fabrication , and would be glad to receive advice on this. The ideal expected solution would be to preserve the original sequence and on same chart reflect the actual sequence.
Zhang Haixiang
User offline. Last seen 3 years 27 weeks ago. Offline
Hi,

Moutaz
if you don’t want to input actual duration, just use "Update as scheduled" then adjust the remaining duration.

sometimes scheduling is boring.

James

the problem is when you input %, the progress-bar may be not end on the status date, sometime behind sometime ahead. It’s because the real productivity rate is not as you planned.
James Griffiths
Moutaz,

I did exactly the same as you (although I didn’t save a baseline). My project correctly calculated the actual duration and remaining duration. I’m using MSP 2000. Which version of MSP are you using?

If you input a % Complete against an unstarted activity, it will automatically calculate the % of the duration, and show the progress-bar accordingly. As soon as you input the %, there is no need to input the Actual Start because it will use the Start date as the Actual Start.

At the moment, I can see no reason why your task value should incorrectly calculate the Remaining Duration. However, it might have something to do with the Tools>Options set-up. Please could you write again with every step, and I’ll perform some experiments for you.

James.
Michael Bonandrini
User offline. Last seen 8 years 10 weeks ago. Offline
I agree with Zhang on this issue...

Another way would be to manually put in the percentage complete and constrain the finish date, but this is a tiresome thing to do for every single activity (very repetitive)
moutaz aldeib
Dear Zhang

But do not you think it is tired to input the actual duration for every task rather than the status date which I can notice it is useless.

Regards,

Moutaz
Zhang Haixiang
I suggest you to update the schedule by using update actual duration & remaining duration.

I you example, just input actual duration 2d, and remain duration 1d.

"reschedule uncompleted work to start after "status date" work s fine for activity that is not started.

for inprogress task,try above mentioned method.

HTH
moutaz aldeib
Dear all

I did small project to see how the schedule is working in MSProject. The first task is 4 days, I saved a baseline, then it is the time to update the project, suppose that after 2 days "status date" the first task has completed 75% and the actual start date same as the scheduled start date, so the remaining days should be one day to complete the task (this is the logic and happens in P3), but I tried to update the project by enetring the 75% percent complete and actual start date in "Update task" the remainig days is still two days, just MS is showing the progress line. And if I used the updated project "reschedule uncompleted work to start after "status date" the same happens.
In P3, you just enter the percent complete and actual start dates for all the tasks, then you use schedule "F9" by using specific data date"status date", and every thing is rescheduled with the new dates.

Regards,

Moutaz
Zhang Haixiang
"Update work as complete through" is used to update those tasks that the actual progress is exactly as planned,no ahead & no delay.

set 0% or 100% will not update inprogress tasks

I always use reschedule, as most of the tasks will not be on schedule.

For the ID, just use one of the text field
moutaz aldeib
Thanks all,

1-Shall I use reschedule uncompleted work to start after or using "Update work as complete through", what is the difference between them, and in case of using updated work as complete, shall I use "set 0%-100% or set 0% or 100%".
The date in reschedule uncompleted work is the status date"data date".

2-the task ID which is assigned automatically by MSP assigns the ID for the tasks as 1,2,3....etc. what I mean is like activity ID in P3 to assign special ID to task like VCCW-100, VCMW-100...etc.

Regards,

Moutaz
Zhang Haixiang
Hello,

1. use Tools>tracking>update porject>reschedule uncompleted work to start after

2.insert>column> base line start/finish/duration...
Format>bar styles to add base line bar

3.Change to a view like ’task usage’ where you can input hours

4.task id is automatically assigned by MSP