Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Calendar issues & incorrect calculation of completion

4 replies [Last post]
Nitin Naik
User offline. Last seen 7 years 41 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None
I am managing a construction programme using MS project 2003. The builder has received an EOT due to inclement weather and I have inserted the days into the calendar.

The problem is it is calculating and extra four days and showing an incorrect contract completion date after the changes to the calendar.

Can someone advise me the solution to this problem?

Your help is much appreciated

Regards
Nitin

Replies

Charleston-Joseph...
User offline. Last seen 2 years 38 weeks ago. Offline
Hello Nitin,

There are a lot of factors that influence the behavior of your calendar.

I suspect that the jumping of 4 days has to do with calendar days and working days.

You need to understand the contract duration. Is it calendar days or working days.

It is very hard to explain because the specific is not clear, however, as an example (it may not be your case)an extension of time is given in 30 days. What is this day, calendar days or working days.

If you will enter the 30 days in a six day work calendar, then, your completion time will jump 4 days (4 day weekend in one month.

In summary, you need to know what is the number of days for extension of time, calendar days or working days. Then, what is the default calendar your using in your programm, six days working calendar or ....

Cheers,

Charlie
Nitin Naik
User offline. Last seen 7 years 41 weeks ago. Offline
Hi Alex,

I am using a standard calendar for this exercise.

Thanks

Nitin
Hannes de Bruyne
User offline. Last seen 1 year 31 weeks ago. Offline
Hello

I don’t think it is the right way to put this bad weather period into the calendar. You’d better make an activity for this period and link it between your other activities. So everybody can see it, and discuss it. If more such periods occur, you can even make a group of it. Never hide delays, because people try there very best to forget them.

Hannes