Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

work to do for resources

5 replies [Last post]
John Smitt
User offline. Last seen 17 years 27 weeks ago. Offline
I have numerous designers on a number of projects. The designers start and stop on various jobs then come back to them as they have design modifications etc.

I am trying to create a ’work to do’ sheet for each designer for the next month.

How can I best show this data in a readable form for the guys.

I filtered on resource in the programme overview but you get all the ghant charts and milestones with all projects so I was hoping how you can create a custom report to suit my needs.

I need a sheet to show task name or job, the start and finish dates with the resource names on the bar.

Replies

Bill Guthrie
User offline. Last seen 7 years 49 weeks ago. Offline
John
suggest

First filter, any activities ne to 100%
then
1. Export all activities, sorted by designer(asusme you have a code structured for each one).
take the spreadsheet, and protect all data cells except the ones you want updated.
send to designer his group of acitvites, tell him to update and return, then inport back into p3.

cheers bill
Philip Jonker
User offline. Last seen 15 years 20 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None
Hi guys.

Designers and draughtsnen are the trickiest customers to deal with, a for fiving them a chance to jump arond from project to prroject gives them even better excuses than they really need. The problem is that if you allow them this leeway. The problem being is that disruption is probably the greatest destroyer of productivity, and if they run into problems, they will use this excuse. So do not let them get in the position in the first place, hence my first posting get out the whip.
Jaco Stadler
User offline. Last seen 17 years 26 weeks ago. Offline
Hi John

I Hope I have understood the original Q correct.

Not Being aware of How you have set up your schedule I Would suggest you start of Using Resource Groups. (To Group all your designers together).

Next wat you need to do is decide on wat type of standard report you want to Use. (I Think you need a Ghant Chart).

Then Next Step is to

View - More View - Gantt Chart - New

Rename it to something Example "To Do List Design"

Apply The Filter Resource Group = Design (base etc)

Then When you Open This Report It WIll Ask you wat Filter need to be applyed.

This Should Give a Report ACtivity Description Start Finish bar Etc.

Then Go Format - Bar - text - Inside - Resource.

I Think This is wat you want.

You can also just Modify your existing report without setting up an view but a view is easy to get back to again

Cheers
John Smitt
User offline. Last seen 17 years 27 weeks ago. Offline
cheers philip

Problem is that if I use resourse levelling everything will be pushed out, we have overallocated resources already but are aware of it and control it manually so this is a no go
Philip Jonker
User offline. Last seen 15 years 20 weeks ago. Offline
Hi John,

Those are the worst animals to control, My suggestion is get a whip.

On a more serious note, Use Multi-Project scheduling, and then use resource levelling with priorities, use the bar charts to drive them, and nagging normally has a good effect as it pisses them off and they get their life in order. Basically give them flack and piss them of till they actually do things in the right order.