Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

"Or" resource!

24 replies [Last post]
km moradi
User offline. Last seen 18 years 29 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None
hi dear frinds;
my request is this?
if i want to deffine "or" resource at msp what must i do?
it means that how can i allocate for task "1" resource "a" or resource "b".
while resource "a" allocated to other tasks msp choose resource "b" instead it.
***you kowe that we can only deffine "and" resource for tasks at msp***
all the best
moradi

Replies

You can wait if Microsoft will do something you need or not, you can use Spider Project and get all you want now. It is your choice. You can easily export your results to MS Project if it is necessary.

Best Regards,
Vladimir
km moradi
Dear ALL:
I think so ,Alex.i my self send many emails about this function for microsoft but they are too busy to answer me.
ANY WAY IT IS BETTER WE TRY MORE AND MORE AGAIN.
Alex Wong
User offline. Last seen 11 years 3 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: TILOS
Dear All,

I think what we discuss in here is very good if Primavera and Microsoft developer see this. If P3e/c ... and MSP do have the role and automatic assignment function, I will personally find it very very useful.

Alex
Bernard, you are right - finding a precise optimum is impossible in a reasonable time. It does not mean that you should not try to optimize resource-constrained project schedule and to receive the results that are pretty close to the optimal solution. If you will try resource constrained scheduling in Spider Project you will find that the resource-constrained schedules produced by this package are usually much shorter that the schedules produced for the same projects by other PM software. It happens because its developers did not decide that it does not make sense to try to improve project schedules just because they could not guarantee that the results are optimal. Skill scheduling makes the task even harder, as other advanced options like variable resource assignments, shift simulation, etc. But if these tasks are hard for the PM software then they are even harder for people who do not think with the computer speed.
Try Spider Project and you will see that the task is hard but not impossible - it was solved in 1993 when the first version of Spider Project was launched to the market.
Bernard,
if there is a need to assign two roles then you have no choice but to use both. I understand that one resource or another can do all the work. This is what can be called role or skill. Both can play the necessary role and have necessary skills. Which one to use depends on their availability, productivity, cost and project manager preferences.
Bernard Ertl
User offline. Last seen 9 years 18 weeks ago. Offline
The current discussion of roles is not what I understood as the question from the original post. It was my understanding that km m wished to be able to assign two different resources (or two different roles) and have the software choose one or the other.

This is a bit different than assigning a single role and allowing the software to choose a specific resource/person from within that role’s pool (even when specific resources/people could be assigned to multiple roles/pools).

Bernard Ertl
InterPlan Systems - eTaskMaker Project Planning Software
Bernard Ertl
Yes, I see it now. Thanks. The roles can offer a logical equivalent of the specific implementation that was requested. But, as I mentioned before, this further complicates the resource leveling algorithm:
    Resource constrained scheduling represents a considerable challenge and source of frustration to researchers in mathematics and operations research. While algorithms for optimal solution of the resource constrained problem exist, they are generally too computationally expensive to be practical for all but small networks (of less than about 100 nodes). [5] The difficulty of the resource constrained project scheduling problem arises from the combinatorial explosion of different resource assignments which can be made and the fact that the decision variables are integer values representing all-or-nothing assignments of a particular resource to a particular activity. In contrast, simple critical path scheduling deals with continuous time variables. Construction projects typically involve many activities, so optimal solution techniques for resource allocation are not practical.

Resource Oriented Scheduling

Bernard Ertl
Ronald, who will assign resources at last - you or P3e?
During the execution resources should be reassigned because the schedule will change. How P3e will reassign resources? What you described is manual resource assignment with P3e advise.
Ronald Winter
User offline. Last seen 3 years 5 weeks ago. Offline
P3ec DOES have this feature (if I understand you correctly.) They call it "Roles." Here is how P3ec defines Roles;

Roles

Roles are project personnel job titles or skills, such as mechanical engineer, inspector, or carpenter. They represent a type of resource with a certain level of proficiency rather than a specific individual. Roles can also be assigned to specific resources to further identify that resource’s skills. For example, a resource may have a role of a engineer and manager.

You can create a set of roles to assign to resources and activities in all projects in the enterprise. You can establish an unlimited number of roles and organize them in a hierarchy for easier management and assignment. The set of roles you assign to an activity defines the activity’s skill requirements.

You can temporarily assign roles during the planning stages of the project to see how certain resources affect the schedule. Once you finalize your plans, you can replace the roles with resources that fulfill the role skill levels. Five proficiency levels can be assigned to roles: Master, Expert, Skilled, Proficient and Inexperienced.

Good luck!

Ron Winter
Alex Wong
The final answer is MSP cannot automatic perform the role and resource function.

As for P3e, I think it does not have the automatic assignment function at present.

Yes, Alex, it is manual and can be used only once. During following reschedulings you will not be able to use this method again.
What about Primavera?
Alex Wong
Dear All,

MSP Method for multi-resource allocation.

Said you have 50 different activity uses 10 type of role
Like Electrical Engineer, Mechancial Engineer, System Designer ... etc.

Assuming each resource have only one role and each role have one or more resources.

This is how I think in MSP it might work.

Allocate Role to each activity and their requirement.
Run Resource Levelling.

At the time you should also have a matching table between role and resource.

Sort the activity by role, start date, then duration. Now you can assign the name resource with with your matching table. One by one with the logic like if there is a overlap use 2nd name resource.

By the time you reach this stage 99.9% of the activity should already have a name resource because when resource leveling it should not have any conflict with activity and resource.

This is kind of manual approach to the problem, however, this will help to minized the visit individual activity.
Dear km m,
I am not sure about automatic resource assignment by role in P3. I hope that Alex will explain to us where to find and how to use this feature - maybe in some other forum.
Skill scheduling means that you can not only assign resources by skills but also are able to reassign them also by skills later.
To my knowledge this function is not available in MS Project. If I am wrong then Alex will explain how to do it. I did not understand it too.
km moradi
dear alex & other
about recourse role at p3 i’m sure ,but please expalan more about your solution at msp.
all the best
Alex,
did you use the function you described in P3e? What you described is a surprise to me - I was sure that automatic resource assignment by skills is not supported by P3e. Let’s check it.
I agree that it is wrong place to discuss P3e or Spider, let’s discuss skill scheduling at some neutral forum.
Alex Wong
Dear All,

I know this might be a wrong forum for P3e but, in P3e you can assign role and resource.
Role being the type of resource like Skill Engineering Level 2 or Cable jointer.
And resource (named) being the actual resource like Mr. A and Mr. B is both Cable Jointer.

When running the schedule in P3e, the system can automatic assign the appropriate resource to each specific tasks as the resource is avaliable.

I think you can use the similar concept in MSP to use ROLE for your resource assignment and then resource levelling. Once resource is leveled you can then export the activity list and assign the different name to the activity. That way you can have as many named resource for single role.
Raj Maurya
User offline. Last seen 2 years 41 weeks ago. Offline
Hi! Km
Yes, you can split the task and assign 2 resource with MSP. I hope you know how to split the task in MSP. First you assign the resources what ever you need in the activity then then split the task. The open the task usage view there you can see the distributed resource over the period of task then you can edit resource as per your need. If you don’t want one resource for certain period you can re-assign zero for that period manually and when you want to show resource is working assign the work. In this way you can work with the number of resources working in a task with different time with MSP.
I don’t understand what do you mean by splitting the task.
You can assign two resource types (pools? - resources grouped by skills) using following types of assignments:
1. Assigned resources will work together. If one is absent the second will not work too.
2. Assigned resources will work independently. One of them can start to work and the second will join when will be ready and if the work will not be finished to this moment.
3. Assigned resources will work independetly. Each of them will do the specified amount of work and then will be assigned to another activity even if the first activity execution is not finished.

A task may have an attribute "splittable" if its execution may be stopped and resources reassigned to another task with higher priority.

Please specify your question if my answer is not satisfactory.
km moradi
dear friend;
thank about your feedback,
i will try it as soon as possible ,but i want know can we split atask and assign 2 type of resource to it with this software?

It is not too complicated for software packages. It is natural to use computer power to solve tasks like this. You can try it in Spider Project (Demo can be downloaded from http://www.spiderproject.ru/spider_e.php).
In this package you can define any number of assignment pools and include in each pool resources that have special skills. Each resource can belong to unlimited number of assignment pools.
Then instead of assignment to work any special resource assign the whole pool and define a number of pool resources that shall be used or their total productivity. In Spider Project you can define activity duration or activity volume - a physical quantity of work to be done (in meters, tons, etc.). Assigning resources you shall define their productivities and activity duration will be calculated. Resources belonging to assignment pool can have different productivities. So you cannot tell what will be activity duration before scheduling when the software will choose which resources to use where.
Project manager can define resource priorities that will be taken into account when the program will choose pool resources to be used. If priorities are not defined then the softwarte will choose those resources that are free at the moment and will do the work for the least price.
km moradi
hi dear friends;
it is clear that it is helpful to protect against human error by have software algorithm and have close response time against any actual change at our plan so i think "or" recourse is very help full however it hase complex calculation.is n’t it?

all the best

Erik Jonker
User offline. Last seen 4 years 50 weeks ago. Offline
It would certianly be very helpful for your initial recource leveling.

But I would still rather leave any decision like that in the project manager’s hands, that’s what they are there for. To try and code or prioritise into a program all the factors a project manager takes into account when he assigns a person/ a resource to an activity is just not feasable.

During the execution phase you will be playing musical chairs, because your program will every now and then change a resource in the middle of an activity.

Regards,

Erik Jonker
Bernard Ertl
It seems to me that if just one ’OR’ option were available per activity, the number of possible schedules would be 2 raised to the power of the number of activities with ’OR’ resource assignments for constrained resources.

Imagine a schedule where 10 activities contained ’OR’ options on the same primary constrained resource. Which ones are assigned the primary resource and which ones the alternate?

Bernard Ertl
Erik Jonker
User offline. Last seen 4 years 50 weeks ago. Offline
Hi Moradi,
Unfortunately MSP does not have that function. It would certainly help a lot, in certain applications. You would normally just check for overallocations, and either use another resource or reschedule the activity. Resource leveling also irons out any overallocations, but you would still have to check that your schedule meets its targets. If targets aren’t met, you have to reshuffle your resources and bring back the program.

What you described is basically the same as resource leveling, the only thing is that your activity dates don’t change. I would imagine that it is just too complicated for planning packages.

This effort is probably what keeps us employed.

Regards,

Erik Jonker