Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Time Phased Cost

7 replies [Last post]
Kelly Randolph
User offline. Last seen 18 years 39 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None
I have a CTR that has a total dollar value with the cost being distributed over time in months, non-linear. How can I create a task in ms project 2002 and distribute that cost over time equal to the CTR. One way I can think of is to hard date milestones set to the same months as the CTR and assign cost to each milestone. I have looked at task usage and the spreadsheet associated with it but I cannot enter cost in the spraedsheet. Regards, Kelly

Replies

Kelly Randolph
Hi Philip

Here is what I am trying to do. I need to track 3 separate cost in ms project.

1. Hardware Payment Milestones
2. Monthly Labor Cost
3. Change Order Cost

I need to be able to capture all of these cost at the work package level and project level and create s curves for each
work package and for the project.

I am not creating a resource loaded schedule except to the extent required to get time phased data in the schedule for labor cost and chage order cost. My approach is to create a new task/resource for each labor account or change order and prorate it for the duration of the project and at the end of each month actualize the amount to be invoiced.

After I have done all of that I need to be able to export to excel and create a pivot table and create s curves keeping in mind that data has to be grouped at work package level and project level.

Regards, Kelly
Philip Jonker
User offline. Last seen 15 years 20 weeks ago. Offline
Hi Kelly,
I have a couple of questions:
1: What type of project are you working on?
2: When you talk about cost are you talking about, manhours (ie Labour resources) or overall project cost in monetary terms (ie labour, materials, craneage etc)?

The reason I ask is that the answers will determine the spread. It is easy to fudge things, but if you want the correct results, it takes more efort.
Raj Maurya
User offline. Last seen 2 years 41 weeks ago. Offline
Erik,
Change the view as Taks or resource usage then edit the resource distribution manually as per need then work contour will change as contoured. Then it will show in drop down box also.
Raj Maurya
Kelly,
If you update the schedule the remaining work will get updated so the remaining cost will automatically get redistributed. You can try to fill actual work as scheduled for that period of time while updating your scheudle.
Your second question- You map the desired data ( Like task, resource, total cost etc) and export that into excel. But then you can’t export the distributed table. So then you can do it manually as to create similar column and rows environment in excel after exporting data in excel then copy the distributed table from MSP and paste it into your spread sheet. I hope this will work as you wanted.
Erik Jonker
User offline. Last seen 4 years 50 weeks ago. Offline
Hi Raj,

How do you edit your MSP default work contours?

Regards,

Erik
Kelly Randolph
RAJ,
I have tried your suggestion and it works well but it leads me to ask 2 more questions. I have distributed my cost over time by month however, if I do not actulize the total cost for the month the remaining cost gets redistributed into the next month. I do not want remaining cost to be distributed into other months. How can I avoid this???

Next problem! After my cost is distributed in either task or resource usage in spread sheet form, how can I get that time phased cost into an excel spreadsheet by month???

Thanks, Kelly

Raj Maurya
Assign resource to the CTR where you want to distribute the cost non linear and distribute the work non linear ( In open resource usage and define work "contour" and edit resource distribution non linear and assign the proper unit rate to the resource). I hope this will work as you want and you no need to assign milestone for that.