Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Send me a copy site?

9 replies [Last post]
Joel Gilbert
User offline. Last seen 4 years 22 weeks ago. Offline
I think there is a need for a place where Planners can dump their schedules or documentation of importance. Because the site is now becoming a `´send me a copy site´`and this is defeating the sites objective and makes for very congested forum and unpleasant reading.

Regards

Joel

Replies

Mike Testro
User offline. Last seen 1 week 4 days ago. Offline
Hi Scarlett - or whatever your name is.

Welcome to PP.

Please be carefull when sending off youre email address in this forum.

There have been cases of people fishing for CV’s and email addresses and while we try to stop them some get through.

Send an email to me at planning.services@xlninternet.co.uk and I will send you a powerpoint demo of bottom up planning.

Best regards

Mike Testro
Scarllet Pimpernel
User offline. Last seen 12 years 38 weeks ago. Offline
Dear All,

I’m only new to this forum. I’m looking for old post that may somehow help me. I did encounter some "send me a copy".

I really wanted to have a copy because I’m new.

I cannot help much in sharing ideas or discussion because my experience is only limited to basic.

The sharing of files will help new commers in planning without overburden to the experts in planning explaining basic concept.

My idea only because i do need those copies of files from old posts or new posts.

Many thanks,
Scarlett
Gardson Duco
User offline. Last seen 8 years 21 weeks ago. Offline
Dear all,

I appreciate this website because of its valuable informations, but some furoms flooded with "can u send me.. my email is.." is not anymore fucos on the subject. The essence of furom is lost. Furom supposedly sharing of thoughts and ideas, not sharing of files.
Dieter Wambach
User offline. Last seen 6 years 48 weeks ago. Offline
David

I agree to your post. In my opinion PP is just overcharged by "send me a copy" posts.
In cany cases people just ask for manuals which are supplied with the software but not installed by IT. Why they are not bombarded (I hope that’s an applicable English expression) with requests for a complete installation of the software? Blame them first!
Why employers don’t learn that first an appropriate training is more effective than just start? - contractors must do it on their account.
Since we can’t modify the world I propose a common page for downloads - but with respect to the legal situation. In my opinion this would be a chance for much more effective communication between us.

Regards
Dieter
Arnold Puy
User offline. Last seen 9 years 8 weeks ago. Offline
Guys,

I fully agree. As a matter of fact, we are happy to share and help but there should be a limitation.

Some Planners asking a copy however, if you could not respond immediately they are keep on posting until they finally get it.

I think we can ask PP Admin to resolve the problem.

Thanks.

Arnold
David Wallace
User offline. Last seen 2 years 38 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None
Bump

I’m bringing this back up because the trend is continuing.

It concerns me that of the items asked for, the majority should already be either known by the planner (e.g. how to form a cost coding structure), or supplied with the genuine software (e.g. P6 manual).

This site, I believe, is for the betterment of planners and schedulers, so sharing information and knowledge should be encouraged, but when we start (essentially) training ’would-be’s’ we are not doing them any favours, nor are we doing the industry any good by diluting the experience and knowledge, with "Yes! I’m a planner, I did a 3 day Primavera course and I have the manual to prove it!"

I’m not sure how we set up a either a P2P sharing site or something similar in function or form, but I think it is a great idea, but again, it should be moderated to determine that what is actually going in there is to the industries betterment and not to it’s detriment.

David.
António Faria
User offline. Last seen 8 years 47 weeks ago. Offline
Chris Oggham
User offline. Last seen 9 years 13 weeks ago. Offline
Joel,

You are absolutely right. There are some threads now which are nothing more than an offer made to one person of some documentation followed by a huge tail of ’can I have a copy’ requests. I really think that this is something PP Admin should follow up on, in fact I’m a bit surprised that they haven’t spotted the trend themselves and decided to act on it.

It’s a real shame that the Private Message facility is still out or you could send the request direct to PP Admin. One way you could possibly do it, is by sending an e-mail to the Helpdesk by clicking on the contacts link at the bottom of the page. Your idea is a really good one, it will make passing on information quicker, easier and more efficient.

First Rate.

Chris Oggham