Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Case Studies

9 replies [Last post]
Tom Howard
User offline. Last seen 8 years 33 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None
May I suggest a useful addition to the site. A case studies section, where past projects are briefly discussed and a copy of the programme is available for reference. This could be in the original software format or a picture such as PDF. The notes need only stretch to a short paragraph introduction, value, overall contract period, floor area, and any unique challenges.

I think there would be real benefit in seeing how other planners present and report information, and approach certain schemes and issues.

That promising (but useless) website Association of Planning Engineers does a similar thing but uses Excel programmes to present the information - which is the equivalent of The Association of Telephone Engineers using 2 yogurt pots and a bit of string to communicate with each other...

In fact, the whole thing looks like some money making scam for the creators. It has barely developed or delivered what it has promised since it was launched.

Replies

Clive Randall
User offline. Last seen 16 years 18 weeks ago. Offline
Gary
I agree with you a 50k programme is a waste of time

However interested to undesrtand what your ideas were on case studies

Andrew Pearce
User offline. Last seen 1 year 14 weeks ago. Offline
I believe Gary has the best intentions for PEO, an organisation to set planners aside from say the CIOB members. That’s if you want to join a club!

The PEO web site has very useful information in it which to date Gary offers access free to non members, so how can non members complain Chris. Are you a member??

Lead times! The data from the Mace website is printed in the building magazine and produced from Mace experience and Mace trade contractors. It can only be a guide but very useful to monitor trends!

The excel programmes are to give a simplistic view of a projects timetable. KISS principle!

As for production rates, well I really believe this is an unsolvable problem. Planning Planet and the construction Library has a very comprehensive list of out puts.
Remember any set of out puts will be based on a collection of data converted to an average out put, that assumes you are going to employ an average workforce. Outputs and resources in a programme can only be a guide!

I believe one of Gary’s aims is to collect & share knowledge allowing Planners to perform better and thereby improve the standing of Planners within our respective industry.
Chris Oggham
User offline. Last seen 9 years 17 weeks ago. Offline
Tom,

You seem quite disenchanted by the PEO, both the organisation and the content of its website. Have you tried contacting Gary France to tell him about your concerns? He’s a very approachable guy who, I am sure, would be able to explain what’s happening and take on board any points that you wanted to make.

As for your point about the lead times being taken from the Mace site, that’s not really surprising, Gary is one of the Directors. So if you have any problems with the PEO let him know, he’d be pleased to get your comments.

Regards

Chris Oggham
Tom Howard
well I’m not expecting him to put me on his Xmas card list, but a quick look will reveal that the production rates section promises (as it has done since launch):

"Sorted by industry, this section will provide details of planned production rates. By way of example, how many people does it take and for how long, to construct foundations, brickwork, structural steel frames, railway lines, roofing and the like. This will be a very comprehensive list of pan industry production rates.
"

The lead times are taken from the Mace site

The case studies section is full of Excel programmes (nuff about that already), Newsletters not updated since Autumn 05, a job page (cos there arent many of those on the web already), etc etc.

All for the cut price sum of £135 a year... Emm, have I missed a point here ??

It all looks very promising, but I cant see any substance - certainly not to justify those prices
Charleston-Joseph...
User offline. Last seen 2 years 39 weeks ago. Offline
Tom,

Do you know Gary?

He may re-act to your post.

Cheers,

Charlie
Tom Howard
Charleston, its not hard to APE (I actually meant PEO www.planningengineers.org) - cos it’s true.

"Why not APE will be like Planning Planet" - not sure what this means, but at a guess, I’ll repeat "cos its a money making venture for the owners". I mean, who in their right mind would pay £22 for a PEO polo shirt ??

Well it really doesnt surprise me in the least that a lot of PP members are also members of APE. It goes a long way to explaining the inactivity on this site too (see my other grumbling threads for details - this monkey business is sending me nuts). And just as I see the PEO 10 bar Excel programmes as a waste of time, so too would uploading a 50,000 activity programme. Programmes need to be of a sensible size, and in a format that can be easily read. PDF’s suit this criteria fine.

Looking across these 2 websites, I’m beginning to see there may be some truth in the image of Planners as thinkers rather than do-ers
Charleston-Joseph...
User offline. Last seen 2 years 39 weeks ago. Offline
Hi TOM,

That is very hard to APE. You know a lot of PP members are also APE members. I tend to agree with your observation. Perhaps APE can explain there position.

Why not APE will be like Planning Planet. Very easy to be a member. In PP you can also come and go anytime, no hard feeling.

REgarding to your post, this is a great idea. Can PP handle P3 file with 50,000 acitivites. I got P3 schedule that range from minimium 5,000 activities to 50,000 activities some are live projects while some are previous projects.

How are we going to make this a reality.

cheers,

charlie
Brennan Westworth
User offline. Last seen 6 years 51 weeks ago. Offline
I agree too...

A section for planning publications and technical papers would also be good.
Chachrist Srisuwa...
User offline. Last seen 15 years 23 weeks ago. Offline
i agree.