Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

golden rule

33 replies [Last post]
Milind Pandhare
User offline. Last seen 8 years 6 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None
what is golden rule in planning

Replies

Philip Jonker
User offline. Last seen 15 years 20 weeks ago. Offline
Hi guys,
The closest explanation I could so far find on the internet, of the modernday golden rivet, from a golf course in Australia "Our Name:
The Golden Divot has it’s origin in both ships and golf. For Sailors finding the Golden Rivet was an excuse to take lady guests on a tour of their ship in search of this special item. The Divot is a well known golfing term indicating the piece of turf that is taken by the golfer when hitting the ball. The Golden Divot name is indicative of the lifestyle of the host at the golden divot of playing and teaching golf in his retirement (golden) years. "

This is how golfers see it.

Regards

Philip

Philip Jonker
Hi Nigel,

The golden rivet can take several forms, in naval terms it is used slightly differently as in yachty terms, in yachty terms, or as I understand it, you are lucky you have not seen it yet.
In engineering or construction, we have similar things, eg. a "long weight" and a "sky hook". I do not know where you trained, but if you have ever been sent as a junior, to collect one of these from the stores, you will get my drift. The sky hook is also used in the Air Force.

Regards

Philip
Nigel Winkley
User offline. Last seen 3 days 19 hours ago. Offline
Groups: The GrapeVine
As an ex-yachty I am well aware of the golden rivet.Never seen it though...
Philip Jonker
Hi Chris,

Definitely, I spent a lot of time sailing, and racing, where I learnt the term from, spent some time as the bosun for my sailing club.

A subtle hint, would be interesting to see if there is any reference on the internet.

Regards

Philip
Chris Oggham
User offline. Last seen 9 years 17 weeks ago. Offline
Hi Philip,

Read your post #31. I started work as an apprentice Shipwright, so I’ve heard the story of the Golden Rivet. It’s going to be interesting to see who else has.

Chris Oggham
Jerry Alivio
User offline. Last seen 15 years 48 weeks ago. Offline
Hello! Philip,

"Golden" for me it’s a very precious word, whereby its related to a thing or a place.

Well, if you would like to visit my place where you can find the great "Golden Triangle" yuo will be amaze.

I think you knew my place.It’s a heaven on Earth.

See yah..

Jerry
Philip Jonker
Hi Fiona,

What we actually need is a dictionary of terms, abreviations used by planners, in terms of normal methodology we can discuss. I am slightly embarrassed that I cannot remember them all off hand, and it would be nice to to create one standard. We all speak different languages, but at the end of the day we communicate in english, which is my second language, although I spoke it at the age of five. We need a univesal standard, that anybody can understand. Think about it.
Philip Jonker
Hi Jerry,

There is something else that is reffered to as golden, and specificaly in nautical terms, ie sailing and navies, see if you can find the story behind that, the "Golden Rivet", an interesting one.
Fiona Maughan
User offline. Last seen 10 years 4 days ago. Offline
Phillip

Re: Dictionary of terminology - I have one somewhere - I’ll try and dig it out or find someone who has it.

BTW - I’ll drink to pretty much anything !

Hey Gwennie - you up to your you-know-what in alligators again ? How’s the new digs ?
Jerry Alivio
Hi! Philip,

The idea is there right? but, anyway it’s fine you explained well and i drink to that.

Thanks,

Jerry
Philip Jonker
Hi Gwen,

Thanks for the explanation, I have a problem with abbreviations, there is some other name amongst the IT people, where you have to guess the answer. Maybe PP should start a register of these abreviations, and people who use them can add anything new they think up. Lets start a dictionary of terminology, and how it is used in planning terms, this would be very handy, and pre-empt a lot of unneccessary questions.

Hi Jerry,

The golden weld, and the the golden rule is very different and yet not as dissimular in terms if you think about it. The golden rule is something, that if you can understand it, and there may be hundreds, maybe millions of them, which enables you do perform a task in a risk free manner, and always get it right.

A Golden weld, is the last weld in a system, where the normal quality procedures cannot be carried out in the normal way, and that as a result of all quality requirements having been met, on previous welds, this one is accepted, on the basis of historical data. The golden rule uses the same principle. If all chefs have founf the sume succes with a recipe, by one simple method, it becomes a golden rule, ie the quality will be right based on historcal facts. There is always still the possibility of a golden weld or a dish failing, despite the history, but in 99.9% of the cases it is successful. Golden is only a benchmark of quality in both instances.

Therefore in the instance of planning, which some people see as the "black Art" of projects, the rules are funny, like listening, asking questions if you don’t know, etc.
Hoipe this explains it a little bit

Regards,

Philip
Jerry Alivio
Hi! Guy’s
What’s up? The "Golden Rule" this golden rule actually reminds me of our piping activity whereby to avoid Testing we have to apply for a Golden Weld.

I think the prenciple is almost the same?

Mmmmm...i just droping by...see yah..

Jerry Alivio
Gwen Blair
User offline. Last seen 10 years 28 weeks ago. Offline
Philip.
Raci charts? Some one somewhere down the corridor must have been on a course as RACI Charts - matrix of activities versus people filled in by Responible, Accountable Consulted Informed.(RACI) and deceided its teh bees knees.
Tendering stacking up and very shot handed.
Philip Jonker
Hi Gwen,

Can you please explain your posting, the wording is a bit alien to me:-)

Regards

Philip
Nigel Winkley
Clive

Very similar. A little more scientifically philosphical maybe. Or should that be philosophocally scientific.

Think I’ll shut up now...

Nige
Clive Randall
User offline. Last seen 16 years 18 weeks ago. Offline
Is this the same theory as the fridge light nige
Clive
Gwen Blair
User offline. Last seen 10 years 28 weeks ago. Offline
Well, I for one cant wait to refer, with superior airs of course, to the said cat situation at todays Speak Sh&te Meeting commonly known as our Planning Meeting.
This is excellent relatiation for making 7 of us in 2 locations sit in a confratel and complete a RASI chart.
I am fast loosing the will to work but a quick run through of domestic economics dictates I must.
Nigel Winkley
Apart from the speeling mistake by me...

Here’s Schrödinger’s (theoretical) experiment: We place a living cat into a steel chamber, along with a device containing a vial of hydrocyanic acid. There is, in the chamber, a very small amount of a radioactive substance. If even a single atom of the substance decays during the test period, a relay mechanism will trip a hammer, which will, in turn, break the vial and kill the cat. The observer cannot know whether or not an atom of the substance has decayed, and consequently, cannot know whether the vial has been broken, the hydrocyanic acid released, and the cat killed. Since we cannot know, the cat is both dead and alive according to quantum law, in a superposition of states. It is only when we break open the box and learn the condition of the cat that the superposition is lost, and the cat becomes one or the other (dead or alive). This situation is sometimes called quantum indeterminacy or the observer’s paradox: the observation or measurement itself affects an outcome, so that it can never be known what the outcome would have been if it were not observed.

Applied to planning...Who knows what will happen until it does. All the theory in the world can help, but until **** hits the fan...

Nige
Clive Randall
My golden rules

"Ask a question if you dont know"
"People who dont make mistakes dont make decisions"
"If you get 90% of what you do right thats a pretty good average"
Im interested in the cat 2

Clive
Philip Jonker
Hi guys,

The golden rule is work and think your way through problems.
By the way who or what is Shroedegger’s Cat!
Nigel Winkley
Hi Chris

I think all those rules should apply.

Not forgetting Shroedegger’s Cat!

Nige
Chris Oggham
User offline. Last seen 9 years 17 weeks ago. Offline
Hi Nige,

I must admit I do like Nige’s Law. It reminded me of something I was told once:

"Murphy is alive and well and working on your project!"

Could it be that things like Murphy’s Law, Nige’s Law and various others are part of a set of golden rules for planning?

Regards

Chris
Nigel Winkley
Surely the Golden Rule is...

There aren’t any rules.

Remember - Murphy’s Law? If anything can go wrong it will? Nige’s Law - Murphy was an optimist!
Oscar Wilde
User offline. Last seen 16 years 9 weeks ago. Offline
Charlie
What are you saying???
When I was a college the rule was to see how fast you could drink 10 pints and still pass the course
Then I became a planner cos there wasent any rules cos nobody knew what you did and if you did tell them they wouldnt listen
So my golden rule is practice the art of always agreeing with your boss and backing up his boss that way you will get a little gold and not too much hessian.
Oscar
Raja Izat Raja Ib...
User offline. Last seen 12 years 47 weeks ago. Offline
Hi,
Maybe this word cannot be use anymore("One character says "IN THIS GAME ALWAYS REMEMBER THE GOLDEN RULE: HE WHO OWNS THE GOLD MAKES THE RULES").
Now days most of people have gold. Maybe U forgot to put "MANY" or uhave to change " HE WHO OWNS THE RULES MAKES THE GOLD". he he he.....
I’m glad u back Charles.

Charleston-Joseph...
User offline. Last seen 2 years 38 weeks ago. Offline
Hi,

I always like Mr. Winter idea.

Sometimes in my teens, i watch the moview Cannonball Run (old movie) and

One character says "IN THIS GAME ALWAYS REMEMBER THE GOLDEN RULE: HE WHO OWNS THE GOLD MAKES THE RULES"

After college or University, such rules was, is and will alway be real. The best approach is to be strong in the fundamentals, essentials, etc. in palnning ...

BUT, BUT, BUT

always consider who owns the gold and play around with his rules

IMHO

Cheers
Gordon Blair
User offline. Last seen 6 years 11 weeks ago. Offline
general rule of thumb on receiving an ITT:

For every hour you spend reading the Client info, Specs and Drawings, you’ll save a day being sent on wild goose chases by your PM
Milind Pandhare
User offline. Last seen 8 years 6 weeks ago. Offline
thx brother
Clive Randall
Listen look learn
Never stop doing that
If you dont know ask
Improve your communication skills
Look at people when you are presenting to ensure they are still awake
See if anybody is following your programme if not ask WHY
Keep it simple, remenber the pesron using the output is not a planner
Alaways alaways always look at the drawings and spec
Dont assume the clients milestones are correct justify them to yourself
Understand simple output criterias and use them
Shahzad Munawar
User offline. Last seen 8 years 50 weeks ago. Offline
As such there is no such golden rules.

Already given rules in this forum are GOLDEN
Svein Myklebust
User offline. Last seen 15 years 26 weeks ago. Offline
Don’t give away the float - sell it
Clive Randall
Very droll Mr Winter like that a great deal
Ronald Winter
User offline. Last seen 3 years 5 weeks ago. Offline
The people with the gold make the rules.