Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Project disasters

5 replies [Last post]
Rob Kearns
User offline. Last seen 15 years 25 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None
As a new member, I would just like to say how good the site looks and feels.
Too long has the humble planner been cast in the shadows of the project manager!

As a change from the norm how about introducing a forum created for a more light-hearted view of planning where members can share some humorous tales of how their projects have gone awry.

My favourite:

How good is your risk analysis? We didnt see this one coming!
A hugely important project was thrown into disarray after the whole development team resigned en-bloc after being head-hunted by a start-up company, leaving no expertise in that field in the company to complete the project.

or

Many years ago on a military project the project team had a problem with the sensitivity of some fuses. Specifically the anti-disturbance switch wasnt sensitive enough. Weeks were spent trying to correct this. Planning was intense as daily progress reviews were being held to assess the corrective action. Eventually the solution was found and implemented and the Ministry of Defence were invited to see the new design. Everything was going well with the until a train passed the factory about 100 yards away and set all the fuses off.

Replies

David Bordoli
User offline. Last seen 7 years 52 weeks ago. Offline
James...

Sometimes I am embarrassed by my juvenile sense of humour...

I think I misled you... the definition is of a PERT Chart, and pert is not an acronym in this instance!

And I suppose I should come clean about my source, take a look here:

Jokes and Stuff

David
dbordoli@burofour.co.uk

Visit Buro Four

I have heard of the 5 Ps (PPPPP)

P#$! (rather than swearing, I suggest the word "very")
Poor
Planning
Prevents
Progress

Have tried, but cant work the PERT one out !

James
David Bordoli
User offline. Last seen 7 years 52 weeks ago. Offline
Hi Rob...

Yes... what about a bit of humour... maybe there should be a forum for the light-hearted stuff!

I try to lighten my presentations with the odd joke or definition (and usually fall foul of inappropriate humour).

One that I like, and my apologies if it offends anyone, is the real definition of the critical path… the shortest route to the nearest bar. Yeah, I know its bad but it made me smile… the definition of PERT is even better but, alas, even I know when to stop!

Regards

David
dbordoli@burofour.co.uk

Visit Buro Four
Clive Holloway
User offline. Last seen 8 years 42 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None
A good Project Manager will always have a good planner at his side, it is called teamwork. The PM is left wanting without a useful planner at his side.
chu chong keong
User offline. Last seen 17 years 42 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: GPC Malaysia
I agree with you 100%. Its true, plannners have too long being under the shadows of the project managers. When the project goes wrong, lousy planning by the planners. On the other hand, when it is successful, a brilliant and far sighted capability of the PM. Hurrah to all planners.