Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

How to model delays in a single activity, caused by MULTIPLE resources

10 replies [Last post]
Lord Horn
User offline. Last seen 5 years 3 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None

Dear All,

At the outset, let me apologize if this is in the wrong section. This is my first post, and as such, am new to this wonderful board.

I have a unique problem and I was wondering if someone kind enough can assist me in resolving it. I don't mind a solution for P3 or P6, as long as it works.

Here is the issue:

1. Let me say that my entire project has only 1 activity. Activity A (its just an example) that spans 1 month.

2. 2 resources are on that activity: Resource X and Resource Y (both are humans who will work on this project)

3. Now, what happens is that Resource X is unable to contribute for 10 days. And Resource Y is unable to contribute for 3 days (assuming this activity is not resource dependent, and assume that the resources were sick or cuold not come to work etc.)

4. Now, obviously, the schedule has stretched from 30 days to

30 days + 10 days delay due to Resource X + 10 days delay due to Resource Y (a simplistic example)

5. I am assuming that both Resource X and Resource Y are doing discrete work, that is work they do is not dependent on each other, not does it overlap at any point in time.

6. My quesiton is: Is it possible for me, to get a report (again, either P3 or P6, preferably P3) that tells me that the total break in Activity A (originally 30 days, now delayed by 13 days) is actually due to Resource X = 10 days delay and Resource Y = 3 days delay? I mean, can I get it ina tabular form? Or any other form?

7. If this is not available in P3 or P6, is there an ALTERNATE way of doing this? (I don't mind a workaround, as long as I get a rerpot that tells me which resource caused how much delay in which activity, assuming multuple resources are being delayed in a single activity -- this is VERY important)

8. I ALSO do not mind if someone can suggest an ALTERNATE software OR and addin (again, for P3 or P6 or even standalone program) that can do this (actually, record this and report)

Thanks in appreciation in advance

Regards,

L_H

Replies

Rafael Davila
User offline. Last seen 18 hours 16 min ago. Offline

SW known in advance

As you can see from the above sample you can model your shift work requirement when work hours are known in advance without need of multiple teams on a single activity by splitting the activity into separate activities. For the modeling of shift work when work is not known in advance P6 will fall short.

As long as your modeling requirement for shift work is that simple, work hours known in advance, I recommend you try modeling shifts as separate activities as shown. You shall create a hammock to mimic the single activity. It shall do the trick.

Because in this example no resource works on the same shift there will be no concurrency. The project might or might not be delayed by the absence of any given resources depending on whether a previous delay opened or not some resource float. For example if I work on the third shift and do not come to work on the first day the job will be delayed by 3 shifts, this will open float for those on the 2nd and 1st shift. Can we argue that if not by my absence the worker on the second shift if absent shall bear some responsibility? Distribution of responsibility is not an easy task.

Rafael Davila

In addition to supporting documents like time cards and the worksheet an impact analysis might look like this:

Impact analysis on resources

I believe the worksheet shall be enough to prove delay on activity while the CPM is necessary to show delay on project duration. Anyway delay on project activity without delay in overall job duration is still a Disruption, the difference on the relative cost of each can be substantial.

If resources work on different shifts as not to interfere with each other then set them to work on different teams with different work hours. Note each resource will work a total of 20 work hours but can be set to different hours. Even with same work hours  the results will differ substantially. Instead of a 2 days impact will be a single day impact. Make sure you have software capable of true modeling of shifts. Beware of add-ins that pretend to mimic teams and productivity.

Impact 02

You can model your activity to be performed by several resources working on different shifts untill all resources produce a total work volume on a first come first serve basis or you can model a fixed portion of the total volume of work to be performed by each resource and the activity will last from first resource hour to last resource hour. Similar but different scenarios.

You are asking for the scenario where you know in advance how much work will be done by each shift, perhaps a simple scenario most software shall be able to deal with. Here modeling each shift as a separate activity can do the trick, otherwise if not known in advance how much work will be done by each shift most software falls short. With Spider you can correctly model both.

Regards,

Rafael

Rafael Davila

Do not forget to address issues on concurrency; two or more resources might be delaying an activity at the same time, in such case you got a shared delay responsibility.

For this you got to model idle resources.

Idle Resources

Best regards,

Rafael

Mike Testro
User offline. Last seen 5 weeks 3 days ago. Offline

Hi Vladimir

I suppose the simple answer is because I can.

I am currently the only moderator operating on Planning Planet so I make judgements as and when necessary.

Best regards

Mike T.

Rafael Davila

Vladimir,

As you pointed out it is not only about teams working on the same activity a functionality that also allows you to model true shift work, it is not only about productivity it is also about volumes of work. It is how everything works in harmony.

Without volume of work it is very, very very very hard and cumbersome to define productivity. That is why many CPM software developers have not yet figured it out without the need to re-program all. They are using hour as the measure of work, a concept used for time studies but not a good choice for CPM schedules.

It is easier and more intuitive to say a productivity of 10 cm/hr or a productivity of 20 cm/hr than 50% productivity of a standard production rate. Can you imagine productivity 50% meaning 50% of a standarized production rate, but which? 20 cm/hr? 10 cm/hr? Why not 25, or maybe 26, or maybe 54, or maybe .....

I am not sure people using software that use hour as the work measure will be able to even get it, otherwise they would be using other software like Spider.

Best Regards,
Rafael

Lord Horn

Thank you all.

Regards,

L_H

Hi Mike,

why did you decide that this topic is on claims?

It is necessary to plan resource usage and to control resource performance not only in conflict situations.

Best regards,

Vladimir

Hi Lord,

this task is for Spider Project. It simulates independent resource work and produce necessary reports.

But yes, the task you described is too simplistic. Actually if resource X missed 10 days and Y missed 3 days then resource Y will do additional work if to compare with planned. In Spider Project you will get a report on planned and actual work and time for each resource and an activity.

If both resources have the same productivity and planned activity duration is 20 days then in your case activity duration will become 26.5 days as shown in the picture below. Such situations may be not only actual but also planned - assigned resources may have different calendars.

Best Regards,

Vladimir

Photobucket

Mike Testro
User offline. Last seen 5 weeks 3 days ago. Offline

Dear Lord

First of all welcome to Planning Planet.

If your software allows it the simplest method is to set up two new callendars - one each for resource A and B.

Set the 10 non work days on Resource A calendar and the 3 non work days on resource B. Reschedule and your task will change asccordingly.

Retain the normal work calendar on the task.

In general it is not good practice to have different calendars on resources but it works for specific occasions such as your scenario.

Best regards

Mike Testro

PS I have moved your thread to the Claims topic.

Lord Horn

Sorry,

For point 4 above, it should say:

30 days + 10 days delay due to Resource X + 3 days delay due to Resource Y (a simplistic example)

THanks you