Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Termination on Employer’s Default

38 replies [Last post]
Sajid Balma
User offline. Last seen 12 years 44 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None
Dears
We were engaged on a job that was based on a modified FIDIC silver book.

Recently, on the persistent failure of the employer to pay us and our repeated notices, we were reduecd to terminate the contract on the Employer’s default.

Now, we are in process of preparing final account for submission to the Engineer. As per conditions of contract we submit this final account and then the Engineer adjust/agree & sign this final account with us. Thereupon we will be submissiting a Final Certificate.

Obviously, we are looking for all the possibilities to include each costs that we might be entitled to incl.
1. Foreseeable loss
2. All expenses prior to termination
3. Any other amounts

I would be obliged if I get any helpful inputs from you guys.

Further, I am not sure how to settle my retention money, advance payment, performance bond. Any thought on this will be highly appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Replies

Samer Zawaydeh
User offline. Last seen 5 years 8 weeks ago. Offline
Dear Sajid,

You client needs the project to get completed. They are not likely to get the performance money cashed in.

What they might want to do is pay you less. The unit rates are now are much lower than they were 6 or 12 months ago. You might talk to them and your principle people about this point. Eventually you can get the project completed for less money. And at the same time get all your invoices paid.

Good luck,

Samer
Sajid Balma
Hi Samer
Thanks for the reply.

That is our biggest fear. So, we can be blackmailed on this ground.

The only non-performance ground the Employer can come up with is when we refused to provide him dates of completion of different sections in the absence of payments.

Regards
Samer Zawaydeh
Dear Sajid,

The employer can ask the bank for the amount of the Performance Bond at anytime. The you will go to court and your money will be stuck for years until you proove that your performance was good and according to plan.

Make sure that you have enough supporting documents (that are received by your employer) showing that your performance was as per Contract.

Best Regards,

Samer
Sajid Balma
Hi again

Well, can the Employer call my performance bond if I opt not to sign a new contract with him? If yes, under what conditions/grounds?

Regards
Sajid Balma
Hi Samer
Thank you very much for your reply.

"....evidence of sufficient funds to complete..... "

This clause was missing too in the old contract. But, can be asked in new contract.

Certainly, we will not be going to "RESUME" old contract as they were asking us.

Regards
Samer Zawaydeh
Dear Sajid,

I would recommend that you very smart in pricing the new contract. That is, if you can ask for new prices. If you can Front Load the 1st part of the works by increasing the unit rates and reducing the unit rates of the finishes items coming last. This way, you will ensure that you have a healthy cash flow and most of your money is paid upfront.

You can also ask the employer for evidence of sufficient funds to complete the works as soon as the Letter of intent is issued.

Closing the outstanding payments on the old contract should be a must before the start of the new one.

Best Regards,

Samer
Sajid Balma
Hi Ken
"Ask them how they intend to pay for the remaining work if they cannot afford to pay for the work already done."

Very very valid question.

But, I am a bit more worried if we end up re-marrying with them, they might turn the table and screw us hard. We certainly have grudge against each other. We are ready to go to court (btw; there is no arbitration clause in the contract). As of today, we have a strong case but who knows what will it be tomorrow.

I am a bit pessimistic or should I say too cautious.
Ken Sadler
User offline. Last seen 3 years 24 weeks ago. Offline
Yes of course if you are a fair-minded contractor, it is always tempting to give a little to make sure you have a chance of the next job!

But if you have agreed to a schedule of payments for the outstanding amount from the first contract, I would be tempted to make sure there is a conditon precedent clause inserted such that if they fail to make payment of any of the amounts on the schedule, then you have right to cease work immediately.

Just a thought as you may otherwise end up being owed a lot more than you are now.

Ask them how they intend to pay for the remaining work if they cannot afford to pay for the work already done.

Regards

Ken
Sajid Balma
Hi Ken
Thank you very much for your reply.

I fully agree with you that they need us more than we need them. As a matter of fact, they tried hard to hire another contractor and even our s/contractor to finish the Works. But, apparently could not able to get coz of commercial issues.

I suggested my management even not to accept any "schedule of payment" that is due from the terminated contract. We should be paid upfront of all our outstanding payments first.

But, apparently, with the current financial crisis, we tend to soften our stand also, just to keep our heads out of water.

Anyways, I will keep you posted.
Ken Sadler

Hi Sajid

Sounds like they ned you more than you need them!! Well done for standing your ground.

I suggest that any expenses you have incurred as aprt of the failed "first" contract should be agreed and paid before you enter into the new contract. If y can do this, then why should there be any problem with the new contract?

What I would be wary of is the Employer seeking to defer the settlement of the first contract or in some way making the balance due part of the new contract. You shouldnt have to agree to anythng like that.

Remember the employer is friendly now but as soon as the project is complete, he does not have to be.

Good luck

Ken
Sajid Balma
Hi again
So, the matter is getting alive again.

The Employer directly approached us for the possibility of resuming the Contract to complete the Whole of the Works.

To summerise, they said
1. There will not be any role of the Engineer/Project Manager
2. A payment schedule will be agreed with us.
3. We will give them the total time required to complete the Works.

In reply, we siad
1. Resumption of the old Contract is not legally possible. A new one has to be signed for the left over job.
2. We have no issue working with or without the Engineer/Project Manager.
3. A time frame will be communicated to us tomorrow.

Now, what is my biggest concern/fear.
1. Since, in view of the Termination of the Contract by us, we have no conducive relationship with the Employer anymore. Working directly may expose us to a bigger risk.

Should I be feel OK to sign a new contract??

Regards
Sajid Balma
Hi Samer
Thanks for your inputs.

Yes, the contract carries compensation clauses. I am calculating whatever I believe I am entitled to. But, on the other side, I am not sure what the Employer thinks to recover from us. Apparently not much except recovery of advance payment.

When it says

".........or which the Engineer considers the Employer or the Engineer entitled to deduct or otherwise recover from the,contractor,........."

then it becomes very very subjective and asking for rounds of debates.

Regards
Samer Zawaydeh
Dear Sajid,

If you have compensation clauses in your contract, and the result of these compensation clauses at the end of the Contact were in the negative, then the Engineer will be issuing a variation with the required deductions. It depends on your Contract.

Best Regards,

Samer
Sajid Balma
Hi Ken
Thanks for your reply. Just to let you know

"Members Private Message System temporarily turned off while we send some people to see the idiots who want to miss-use the system. We will be back on soon. Sorry! "

Altrenatively, my email address is aliali@cyber.net.pk. I would be grateful, if you drop me an email to enable me to put further details.

Regards
Ken Sadler
Hi Sajid

What a mess indeed!

I can’t imagine how the Engineer can possibly ask for the contract rates to be amended. The only possible way this can be done is to value a variation.

Of course there may be more to it - you can send me a private message with the exact circumstances if you like.

Regards

ken
Sajid Balma
Hi Ken
Further updates on the subject.

The Engineer, for final certificate, wants to revisit the breakdown of BoQ prices that we have been using for last 1.5 years. What a mess!!!!!

If the current breakdown was agreed at the start of the project why it should be scrutinized now? I suspect they might want to make deductions based on a new breakdown.

Now, my question is
"Can the Engineer make deuctions in view of above scenario??"

Regards
Sajid Balma
Hi Ken
Further update on the subject.

Talks between Employer & us failed. The Employer is unwilling to listen let alone consider any of our demands.

I hope court is last option left with us to recover our losses.

Regards
Sajid Balma
Ken,

Thanks for your promptness again.

We are taking steps very cautiously. We have full understanding of our position. We know that the Employer is in a fix. They can not use their own document (Contract) against us.

But, on the other hand, deep inside our hearts, we want to continue this project keeping the financial crisis all around us.

I need to recover at least 6% of the contract price just to cover my cash losses (at termination). I have a feeling that I need another 22-25% of the Contract Price to put myself back in profit.

Regards
Ken Sadler
Sajid,

Yes of course you have to do some maths now, but you should be able to present some summary arguments and figures within a day or two.

Remember that you have already determined the contract and the Employer is now asking you back. Time is on your side not theirs!

You must present your figures and ensure they are incorporated into a new or compromise agreement.

If they dont like your figures, then dont go back. If they dont like them now, then they are hardly likely to like them after you have completed the job!!!

Regards

Ken
Sajid Balma
Hi Ken
Thanks for your promptness.

In view of your suggestions, I think I made a mistake on both fronts ie claims & SoW.

I was of the opinion to cover my costs of claims by re-negotiating the price of remaining works. If, I go with the SoW they are offering me, I would be eating my toe, for sure. That was the reason I was stressing for my full SoW.

If I go with your suggestion in second last para, I may not able to make a more informed decision unless I do some arithmetics.

I fully agree with you that it might be our last chance to get the money, we are entitled to, out of their pocket to ours. Apparently, it seems hard that we will be able to cover substantial/satisfactory amount of our claims by going for slashed SoW & 15% of deleted SoW.

Thanks again for your valuable inputs.

Best regards.
Sajid Balma
Hi Ken
To update you, we have been contacted formally (to an extenet) by the Engineer to withdraw our termination letter & resume the works. They were a bit open and asking us to put our minimum demands to come to table but, with a revised (read slashed) Scope of Works.

Earlier, we were informally asked by the Employer to resume the works with no demands or claims, obviously, we refused.

This time, I have told them that claims can be put aside for sometime but can not be withdrawn and further, I need assurance that I will be employed again for my full scope of works.

They might be coming back in a day or two after getting further instructions from the Employer.

I was wondering about the possibility of negotiating my EoT with a revision in the price of my left over SoW.

Any inputs will be highly appreciated.

Regards
Ken Sadler
Hi sajid,

Why did you say that the claims can be put aside for sometime??

Now is the best and perhaps only opportunity to get an agreement on your EOT and disruption and prolongation costs.

I will bet you that if you leave this without formal agreement now, and you go back to site, then the Employer will be in no mood to talk to you later. Once the job is finished, he will not be interested in your claims.

You have the upper hand now - you must use it.

Also, why do you insist on the full scope of the remaining work? If the Employer is as bad as he seems, I would not want to expose myself to the risk associated with greater work. If he has taken 60% of the work off you, accept this but demand that he pays your loss of profit on that amount of work at whatever your mark up was - 15% say. You then get to make that profit without doing any work or taking any risk.

Dont let this opportunity go by!!

Good luck

Sajid Balma
Thanks again Ken

I really appreciate your valuable inputs on this subject.

I am building my case based on the heads you identified. But, would like to know more about

"plus
my fee in advising you!!!!!"

I suppose I should back charge you for bringing a bussiness proposition to you!!!!!!!!

Well, on Prelims, the project has already gone beyond its contractual completion. & we have invoiced 100% of prelims back in Dec. This has been approved by the Engineer also. Now we will be putting actual cost incurred as prelims from Dec to Jan end.

Anyways, I will keep you posted thorugh this thread about new develpoments.

Regards
Ken Sadler
Hi Sajid

Yes, run your CPI, but if the result is not "1", then you have a case!

Of course its more complicated that this but simply put, try approaching it like this;

Value of work done
plus
the profit lost on the work not completed
plus
the cost of decommissioning on site
plus
the cost of prelims not receovered because of early finish (ie. your staff would have been employed - and paid for- on this project, but now you have to find something new for them. Youmay be paying their salaries in the meantime)
plus
the lost overhead contribution by your reduced turnover
plus
costs from subcontractors
plus
the cost of preparation of your claim
plus
my fee in advising you!!!!!

Dont dwell too much on whether you have lost money - you know this is the case without CPI.

Your greater challenge is to demonstrate that your costs are reasonable and actual.

Good luck

Ken
Sajid Balma
Hi Samer
Thanks for taking time to read & respond to the thread.

I refer to my 2nd post in the same thread where I have stated the events lead to "Payment on Termination". I once again stress that the contract is brutally modified from FIDIC Silver Book to an extent that is incomprehensible.

We have decided to run a CPI (Cost Performance Index) excercise before submitting a Final Account to the Employer. That would enable us to make a more educated decision(s) of what to include & what would be the bottom line to agree with the Employer on Final Account.

What are your thoughts on that?

PS: Ken, your responce would be highly appreciated.

Regards
Samer Zawaydeh
Dear Sajid,

You can read the FIDIC clause 16.4 "Payment on Termination" to give you a better idea about the sequence of events that should follow. Apply it if your CoC permits.

Good luck,

Samer
Sajid Balma
Thanks Ken

You are a great help.

Regards
Ken Sadler

Hi Sajid,

Yes of course, claim 100% of the retention. After all, what gives the Employer the right to hold on to it if the contract has been determined?

Ken
Sajid Balma
Hi everyone,

Further to my earlier posts on the same subject, I still wonder, should I claim 100% of my retention in my final account?

As per CoC, I am entitled to 50% on Taking Over Certificate & rest on completion of DLP (1 yr). Now, as the current status of the contract is "Terminated", I believe we are not obligated to observe DLP. Am I right????

Ken, I would like you to please help me on this.

Regards
Ken Sadler

Sajid

Yes you are right, its a civil matter rather than criminal.

But your rights are determined by the common law and statutory provisions rather than contractual rights as the contract appears to have been set aside.

Its confusing I know - a civil matter under a common law jurisdiction!
Sajid Balma
Hi Ken
Thanks again for your replies.

"So where would you have been, financially, had the project been completed properly and been paid for?"

Yes, thats what I am trying to ascertain. But, finding it difficult as the argument seems very subjective. What & how I substantiate this would be a gigantic task, I think so.

"One confusing comment is that you speak of civil law but, to my knowledge, Pakistan is a common law country, not civil law ?!"

Well, I am not a lwayer so, I might be wrong. But thought that it would be a civil case rather than a criminal case.

Ken Sadler

Hi Sajid,

Repudiatory breach of contract is a breach that is so fundamental that the injured party is entitled to regard the contract as having ended. Absolute failure to pay for the work done is one example.

Basically it is said to go to the root of the contract, which in its simplest regard, is the construction of a building in return for payment.

The usual remedy to the injured party is the payment of damages, which are intended to put that party back in the postion it would have been had the breach not occured.

So where would you have been, financially, had the project been completed properly and been paid for?

One confusing comment is that you speak of civil law but, to my knowledge, Pakistan is a common law country, not civil law ?!

Ken
Sajid Balma
Hi again Ken
Thanks for writing back.

Let me beat my chest further.

There is no provision of arbitration. Its staright to court room. I feel myself sitting on the doorstep of court room & obviously unwilling to go inside.

"repudiatory breach" is a new term for me. What does it mean exactly.

You are right in suggesting to go with civil law. But, it might take ages to settle this. Well, that will be our last option.
Ken Sadler

Hi Sajid,

It seems you are on the ball thankfully.

I am no lawyer of course, but I know that the legal system in Pakistan is based on English common law.

If the contract has been butchered to the extent you suggest, it may well be that the Employer has repudiated the contract by his refusal to pay.

Your remedy for this repudiatory breach is therefore damages at common law. I suggest you get on with compiling your costs as soon as possible and present these to the Employer and see what happens.

I cant say what you would need to do if a dispute over the amount arises - arbitration maybe?
Sajid Balma
Hi Ken
Thanks for taking time to reply to my thread.

Well, you are very true
"Firstly, have you determined correctly? Late payment by the Employer ........."
in assuming the contractor can not ask anything except interest on late payments.

Rest assured, it was the right detemination.

As I said its a modified (read distorted) form of FIDIC silver book. There is no way I claim interest on late payment but the contract gives me right to terminate on the subject of Employer’s Default to fulfill his prime obligation i.e. to pay the contractor. So, what do you think now? Surprised???? This is really surprising for all of us too.

So, what we did is sent a notice as per contract cluase seeking employer’s action to remedy the default event. After 14 days, we sent another notice notifying the employer that we have suspended the works & that might lead to the termination of the contract. Although the contract does not have any provision of suspension of works.

Further down, failing to get anything positive from Employer, we finally sent a letter of termination.

Now, as of now it is legally terminated & the caluse that trigerred this termination addresses on the items that I mentioned in my last post.

Should we still need to observe our rights & obligations under the contract?????? Any any help, will be highly appreciated.

I call it "Premature Ej..ulation". No Performance Guarantee, No Retention, what do you think now??
Ken Sadler
Hi Sajid,

I wish I shared Samer’s confidence that it "will not be a problem". I suspect you have a huge problem!!

Firstly, have you determined correctly? Late payment by the Employer does not give the right to determine - merely to suspend work until payment is received. There has to be a substantial effect on the progress of the works for the contractor to thereafter determine.

Has the Employer accepted your notice of termination? If not, then the Engineer is not likely to value and certify all of your claims is he?

You are right to be concerned about rights if the contract is terminated. Other forms of contract (eg JCT) are better drafted in that they refer to "determination of the contractor’s employment" That is, the contractors obligations to progress and complete the works are ended but the contract still exists and therefore so do all the rights and obligations. FIDIC refers to termination of the contract so you might ask "if the contract is ended, under what provision is the employer obliged to pay?" This is an example of one of the simplisitic features of FIDIC.

You need to ignore this conundrum and get on with compiling your costs. The lawyers will argue whether it is due under the contract or whether is is payable as damages for breach of contract - it amounts to the same as far as recovering cash is concerned.

Your heads of claim might then include:

1) Work completed
2) De-mobilisation costs - return of plant, labout etc
3) Non productive time for direct staff if not re-directed to new work
4) Additional costs in making safe areas of incomplete work
5) Loss of profit on the work not now to be completed
6) Finance costs from the late payments
7) Similar claims from your sub-contractors

The contract obliges the Engineer to compile and certify the above costs - now if he does this without a fight and you are happy with his figure then I will eat my hat! Or you could send Samer in and he can sort it "no problem"

Good luck
Ken

Sajid Balma
Thanks Samer for you valuable inputs.

Would you please tell me more about this "Maintenance Bond"? I do not have any reference in my contract document. The termination clause talks about
1. How to leave site
2. When to submit IPC till termination
3. Final account submission & agreement
4. Final Certificate with written discharge (no more cost claims)

I am still not sure how to address the rights & obligations accrued on us during the contract period. Should we say, "The contract is terminated & we have no more contractual obligations to honor". But then how can we get our moneys out of employer’s pocket?

Really lost in this mess.

Thanks in advance & Take care
Samer Zawaydeh
Dear Sajid,

If you have proper documents at site then this is not going to be a problem. You will need all your material logs, shop drawings logs and the Procurement logs. Contracts with your sub contractors and a list of all the items that you want to claim for.

Make sure that you have an updated schedule showing all the ongoing activities/ lack of it at site.

Retention Money & Performance Bond:
Since you completed some of your works, you will need to submit the "Maintenance Bond" in exchange for your retention money, and performance bond.

Recovery of Advance Payment:
You will include it in your Final Certificate.

Best Regards,

Samer