Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Terminate to save money

5 replies [Last post]
Samer Zawaydeh
User offline. Last seen 5 years 4 weeks ago. Offline
Hi all,

Project started during the 3rd quarter of this year when the oil prices were highest. On a small project ($5Million) would you select to terminate the Contract in order to re-tender it again and save 30-40%.

It is the same when the Contractor is losing 30-40% because of escalation in prices, but in this case, the Client is losing the 30-40% because of decrease in prices.

Thank you for your comments in advance.

Best,

Samer

Replies

Neil Tait
User offline. Last seen 12 years 3 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None
I think you’re premature to say that the client saved money.

He paid money for something that wasn’t completed and he didn’t get. Should he require it completed at a later date then there is a risk that he may need to pay more than the original price.

Samer Zawaydeh
User offline. Last seen 5 years 4 weeks ago. Offline
Dear Neil,

Actually, in the case I am working on, the work was terminated to the agreement of both parties. The client saved money and the Contractor raised his profit percentage.

The time was right since most of the markets is down, savings are in favor of the client side.

Best,

Samer
Neil Tait
User offline. Last seen 12 years 3 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None
I’d chose not to terminate, in particular if the contractor was performing.

As mentioned below - the real cost of termination may well exceed your perceived 30-40% saving, which is already miniscule on such a small contract.

If multi-billion I guess its a different story
Ferdinand Fincale...
User offline. Last seen 8 years 23 weeks ago. Offline
Nowadays, client’s are more wiser in dealing with inflation that they make it as an inclusion to contracts. With that idea, I guess the risk of terminating contracts became evitable.
Carlito Ogoy
User offline. Last seen 3 years 44 weeks ago. Offline
I think this needs a little calculation. How much do I need to pay the contractor if I will terminate the contract, and how much do I gain if I do so? Nevertheless, it depends on the contract if you are allowed to terminate it for that reason. Even suspension of work has grounds before you can apply it. Otherwise you will be facing legal difficulties with it.