Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

FIDIC - Clause 54.7 : Approval of Materials not Implie

3 replies [Last post]
sathis jayaweera
User offline. Last seen 11 years 18 weeks ago. Offline
Dear All

This question related to the FIDIC CoC in a Clause 54.7 : ( Approval of Materials not Implie )

In the clause said : The Operation of this Clause shall not be deemed to imply any approval by the Engineer of the materials or other matters referred to therein not shall it prevent the rejection of any such materials at any time by the Engineer.

Please, if some body can explain that above clause in the sense of purpose, I shall be much appreciated.

Regards

Sathis

Replies

Leo Polintan
User offline. Last seen 10 years 24 weeks ago. Offline

IN MY OPINION, THIS CLAUSE MUST BE SUPPORTED BY ANOTHER CLAUSE.

THIS CLAUSE MEANS THAT THE ENGINEER UNLESS MAKE SOME BLACK AND WHITE APPROVAL OF THE MATERIAL IT IS STILL NOT APPROVED. THOUGH THE VERBAL INSTRUCTION OF APPROVAL PREVENTS THE MATERIAL TO BE NOT APPROVED IN THE FUTURE.

Raphael Adeyemi, ...
User offline. Last seen 9 years 28 weeks ago. Offline
There is nothing in this clause which implies that under it approval is given to materials or any other matters but this subcluase has been included to prevent misunderstanding.
James Barnes
User offline. Last seen 1 year 5 days ago. Offline
If I had a copy to hand, I could check the text of the rest of the clause but I do not so I can’t give you a full answer. I’m sure there are several others here who have direct and contemporary experiecne with FIDIC, it has been a few years since I’ve used it...

That said, I understand it to mean that you cannot assume approval of materials (or other matters) based upon what it says in the rest of the clause, you need clear and separate approval under the relevant contract clauses. So, you can’t point to the contents of that clause and tell the engineer that he has approved the materials etc, you need to have the correct approvals