Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

DELAY ANALYSIS

28 replies [Last post]
khawaja uddin
User offline. Last seen 8 years 39 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None
Hi, All
How the "Collapsed As Built Method "is used for delay analysis using P3.
Thanks

Replies

Ali Osama
User offline. Last seen 4 years 2 weeks ago. Offline

EXTENSION OF TIME (EOT) AND

RELATED COSTS IN

CONSTRUCTION

https://bibloteka.com/extension-of-time-eot-and-related-costs-in-constru...

Raja Izat Raja Ib...
User offline. Last seen 12 years 48 weeks ago. Offline

5 to 10years I think its about time, its suit with my age, could be as Advisor or Senior Project controller which i need for my memory backup about planning and control.

Andrew Flowerdew
User offline. Last seen 2 years 23 weeks ago. Offline
David,

Certainly brought a smile to my face - 5 to 10 years, seems about right!
David Bordoli
User offline. Last seen 8 years 6 days ago. Offline
Thanks to Andrew for the plug of my article (written with a colleague Lee Cookson).

Raja... I do post in PP quite frequently, I can’t come in every day but every now and again I have a flurry of activity (usually to cast stones at Charlie’s posts).

As for the article, Lee and I were asked to write it at short notice and keep it brief and to the point. Mostly that means we had to make big generalisations and not to get too deep into the topics - after all, it is a beginners guide!

Now, Andrew F is quite a different chap, a planning and legal brain as big as a Primavera’s world-wide sales. I know he has said ’don’t hold your breath’ but we have been discussing something lately that he is very knowledgable and passionate about - a bit of arm twisting and 5 or 10 years should see it on your book shelves. I hope that is sufficient a tease to either upset Andrew or stir him into action!

By the way, the wine isn’t that good... I might be able to exchange it for a one way flight from Stansted to Newquay (off-peak of course).
Raja Izat Raja Ib...
Andrew
its a good thing to proud of, maybe one day i’m the person have your book. All the Best
anyway congrat to our friend there... may he change from bottle of wine to return ticket to see him and having discussion on Planning Matter.
Andrew Flowerdew
Don’t hold your breath, unlikely I’d say.
Raja Izat Raja Ib...
this is great, almost of them have their own journal to make a book ... this is really great thats why i havent seen David Post in this PP anymore. No wonder.
So i will wait Andrew book after this... arent u going to make a book to Andrew
Andrew Flowerdew
If you want a useful but breif overview of delay analysis have a look at the following article:

http://www.driverconsult.com/articles/article_pdf_25.pdf

You could win a case of wine too if you enter the competition!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Raja Izat Raja Ib...
lets sombody else gave their opinion... i passed.
nothing to proven the work.

p.s study the post given, To me it work to related project i involved. Analysis is work base on your creativity, experience,knowledge to integrated things.

cheers
A D
User offline. Last seen 3 years 24 weeks ago. Offline
Hi raja,

If you any white paper supporting this, please let us know or may be any other book.

For me at least (I am not sure, I am 100% correct) collapsed As-Built is sort of a post-mortem analysis and not be used for controlling.

The way you have written, seems everybody has gone astray

Hope you can help us better!!
ashraf alawady
User offline. Last seen 9 years 30 weeks ago. Offline
me too.
Anoon Iimos
User offline. Last seen 2 years 14 weeks ago. Offline
i’m not sure if you’re still the same Raja that i know the first time i joined this forum;

i believe this refers to schedule, the one that has been done (As-Built), yes, including drawings (if your contract includes engineering), and you’ll need to refer also to your As-Built Drawings if consistent with your As-Built Schedule!

what’s the point? (i’m lost!)
Raja Izat Raja Ib...
Hi again,
As built analysis is relate to the construction which we already determined the items which / when drwaing is needed. The engineering drwing items also need to be identified base on sequence.

Example oil&Gas sequence
1.P&ID
2.Civil&Structure
3.Equipment
4.Piping
5.E&I

From there there is sub activities like data, spec, MTO, procedure etc to execute the project. So we can only identified with waiting milestone which we pull the line from the construction work and measure with the engineering drwing which alredy estimated to be available at site. For your Analysis also can be use like this only thing u have to understand the correct sequence of yours engineering activities.

Hope its help...

ashraf alawady
Can somebody please summarize the points discussed in this topic and we need to soecify our taget from this discussion.
Thanks
Anoon Iimos
Raja, the topic is Delay Analysis, i agree with Ravi, the point is (i presumed there is a point): How do you conduct Delay Analysis using As-Built Plan?
Raja Izat Raja Ib...

thats only for control your work.. not analysis, analysis is about how the sequence and the work relate have the interface to run smooth which how u going to solve the matter which involved procedure, Spec, Risk analysis(HSE) and etc, .
A D
Dear Raja,

I thought u got it, but whats d last line about:

"thats the way to control the work activities"

As i said earlier, it is also called as "As-Built But-for-analysis"

Analysis is "something taking apart in order to study it" (You know it very well)

So, its a post-mortem kind of thing rather than controlling tool.

:-)
Raja Izat Raja Ib...
if i not mistaken u are going to do roll-up WBS as per contract, if that case u could put milestone for each As-built ETA and waiting milestone as per Field needs.

thats the way to control the work activities.

hope this will help

Anoon Iimos
no Raja, i mean yes, something like that, whatever i’m not sure...

regards
A D
As mentioned earlier it is also called as As-Built but-for analysis.

As Anoon has said, it is going back and checking what has happened in the project; marking out the as-built path.

But only those events are considered, which are at the employer’s risk and are identified & extracted from the as-built programme to show how long the work would have taken, but for the events at the employer’s risk.

This is what i read somewhere, and think I am right.

Cheers,

Raviraj A Bhedase
Raja Izat Raja Ib...

Do you mean collapsed is Roll-uP...
Anoon Iimos
please allow me to put it this way: "Collapsed As-Built" - meaning it is already done, and you knock it down again to find exactly what has happened!

Try building a structure so that when you finished, you demolish it in sequenced to your As-Built Plan going backwards this time.

Please advise..anyone..?
ashraf alawady
Dear all
for me ,the Collapsed As-Built Method still not clear.

please advise in details
Thanks
A D
Hi Trevor / Anoon,

Collapsed As-Built Method has nothing to do with the critical path. You are absolutely right in saying that if we have actual start and finish dates, we dont have float for the activities. (A more of a common sense)

This thread was started to get the meaning of COLLAPSED AS-BUILT METHOD. This method basically does the post-mortem of the work done and rather than any planning for the activties completed.

Thats why it is also called as As-Built But-for-Analysis.

Hope i am clear this time around. If u know any further details, plz throw some light on it.

Cheers,

Raviraj A Bhedase
Anoon Iimos
Trevor,

Why "it is a weak, subjective argument and easily countered"? meaning they will go back to planning again from scratch? which will give them a lot of variables? But they got already actuals? Do you mean it’s not possible to move backwards reminishing (have i got the spelling right?) what had actually happened?
Trevor Rabey
User offline. Last seen 1 year 22 weeks ago. Offline
I don’t expect much agreement on this but please consider:

The idea of trying to work out a Critical Path after the Tasks are done strikes me as a bit ridiculous. The concept of a Critical Path can only apply to Tasks which are planned, which are in the future of some reference date. Anything which has already happened has got actual start and finish dates and cannot have any ES, EF, LS, LF Free Float or Total Float.
Sure, you can look at the actual sequence in which things were done and assert that Tasks were done later than they could have been done (ie, nothing was preventing them from being done earlier), and perhaps that they therefore delayed their Successors, but it is a weak, subjective argument and easily countered.
A D
Hi,

Collapsed AS Built Method starts by identifying the actual
sequence of the works. Events that are at the employer’s risk under the contract are identified and extracted from the as-built programme to show how long the work would have taken, but for the events at the employer’s risk. A common criticism of the method is the subjective element involved in determining the critical path through the as-built programme. On the other hand, it seems to get closer to the facts than other methods.

It is also called as As-Built but-for analysis.

Cheers,

Raviraj A Bhedase
Anoon Iimos
there you go again Khawaja, i almost collapse in your previous thread; but can you explain what a "Collapsed As Built Method" is?