Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Parallel Delay or Concurrent Delay

16 replies [Last post]
Puneet Gupta
User offline. Last seen 10 years 16 weeks ago. Offline
Hey can anyone explain me the difference between Parallel Delay and Concurrent Delay.

In our Project there are delay from engineer side say Variation of works which we executed on the same day....

Is it a Concurrent Delay or a Parallel Delay.

My idea is they are parallel delay and we are entitiled for both of them in terms of Time.

Any suggestions...

Replies

Andrew Flowerdew
User offline. Last seen 2 years 23 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None
Ashraf,

In most countries the contractor is not entitled to acceleration claims unless the contract expressly states he is and then it’s often only instructed acceleration and not constructive acceleration. ie, the countries legal system tends not to recognise a contractors right to constructive acceleration.

In my opinion a contractor that is put in the position of having to accelerate due to the non issue of an EoT that is OBVIOUSLY due should be able to claim for acceleration, but unfortunately the laws of most places don’t see it this way.

Most legal systems (common law) put the contractor in the position of having to:

1. choose from accelerating so as to hit the existing completion date and then trying to recover acceleration costs, which will be very difficult and probably end up in an expensive dispute.

2. carry on regardless and hope they get an EoT to cover any over run later - again, usually by going to arbitration/litigation and fighting for it (unless adjudication is available or similar).

Neither course of action is very appealing. In those countries that adjudication is available, or the contract has a DRB that can give binding decisions (although probably not finally binding), then the contractor has a good way of resolving the problem quickly and not being put in the situation above.

The solution to the problem is that the Engineer should play by the rules and correctly administer the contract, granting fair and reasonable EoT’s when due. The problem shouldn’t then arise. But for a million and one reasons this often doesn’t happen and things end up in a dispute. Most construction phase disputes have an argument over time in them.

If contractors knew that costs for constructive acceleration were more easilly recoverable then maybe they would be more willing to spend the extra money to get the job done on time and less projects would over run.
ashraf alawady
User offline. Last seen 9 years 29 weeks ago. Offline
In many different contracts and in many places,We have assesed and analized acceleration claims .

The basis of the Contractual’s issues could not be extreemly changed from place to another specially for the engineering construction field consdering that shall follow the international role and condetion of contract since it is a part of the international businss.
ashraf alawady
In many different contracts and in many places,We have assised and analized acceleration claims .

The basis of the Contractuale issues could not be extreemly changed from place to another specially for the engineering construction field consdering that shall follow the international role and condetion of contract since it is a part of the international businss.
Andrew Flowerdew
Rohit,

I’m afraid that unless your legal system supports the idea of constructive acceleration which I believe it doesn’t, (but may be wrong so check it out) I’m afraid it just one of those annoying things in life you have to live with.

The USA has allowed constructive acceleration claims on occassion due to the non issue of a timely EoT but the rest of the world does seem to agree with this view. A couple cases have been successful in the UK but these are the exception, not the norm.

Unfortunately the rest of the common law world seems to support the idea that it is up to the contractor to take the risk if an EoT is not granted and carry on regardless, then fight it out in arbitration or whatever dispute resolution procedure your contract contains.

One thing in support of adjudication now available in the UK, Singapore, New Zealand and Austrailia - binding (but not finally) decision arrived at on such points in 28 days.
ashraf alawady
Dear Gupta,
previously you said that the client has suggested to take the as-built duration for variation work into consideration.

Could your client suggeste and agree on the same if you have completed the variation works in 5 days instead of 1 day as you did (most probably, the answer is no!).

It does not matter when you have xecutad the variations, the main valid point is what is your right and what was the actual time and cost impact of those variations on your programme.

If the client is insisting to use the as-built duration he has to be fair and pay you the acceleration costs.

Also we have to differntiate between two issues variations and delay’s events.in order to reflect the actual impact and the reialistic EOT.

However,if the time impact for event A individually was 5 days andthe time impact for event B individually was 3 days, it is not neccessary that total EOT should be 8 days
but it will be based on the logic relationship
between event A and B:-

If the relationship was FS wit lag 0 ,EOT could be 8 days
If the relationship was FS wit lag 2 ,EOT could be 10 days
If the relationship was SS wit lag 0 ,EOT could be 5 days
If the relationship was SS wit lag 2 ,EOT could be 5 days
If the relationship was SS wit lag 3 ,EOT could be 6days

and so on basd on IF SCENARIOS.
Puneet Gupta
Mr. Andrews

You are right here...but contractor executed them on same day as he was worried about LDs...as the EoT was not given to him...and so he was trying to mitigate other delays forced to him by employer.

Also he removed resources from other activities which were not critical that time....to execute these variations which are coming on the critical path.

Well i think i am convinced by your views...but still thinking...as contractor should also be paid for his good work.Isn’t it???

It should be compensable to contractor and non-excusable to employer....
Andrew Flowerdew
Puneet,

The EoT entitlement should reflect the delay ACTUALLY caused, and so if the contractor carried out both activites on the same day then the the actual delay caused was 1 day - hence EoT 1 day.

If the contractor had carried out the activities on consecutive days, then as long as he had a valid reason to do this, the EoT would have been 2 days. But he didn’t, so his EoT entitlement is 1 day.

It’s the contractors duty (and employers, consultants, sub contractors, etc) to mitigate all delays, irrespective of who caused the delay, hence why if he had carried out the variations over 2 days when he could have done them on the same day, he would need a good reason as why he did this.
Puneet Gupta
Hello Mr Andrews...

Well i was waiting for ur response....

But this time my views are little different from yours...

for eg ..Employer issued two variations and the the projects was already in delay because of employer’s events and he has not issued any EoT for previous delays...so to avoid LDs...Contractor executed them on the same day...(say they need only 1 day though he can execute them on different dates)...so starting and finishing them on the same day....so he is entitled for 2 days and not for 1 day.

In my opinion if he has not executed them on same day, he was entitled for 2 days....and thats why i am calling them as parallel delay and not the concurrent delay.

The example you have given in your post ...i will say contractor is entitled for 8+5 = 13 days and not only 8 days.

I may be wrong...if so please correct me...
Thanks
Andrew Flowerdew
Puneet,

If both Employer delays were occuring at the same time you should impact the event that started first and this will give you a delay period. Then you impact the second event and if this gives further delay then it the period over and above that of the first delay that you can claim for the second event.

eg

1st event when impacted moves completion date 5 days giving EoT of 5 days. 2nd event (even though it may start on the same day) moves the completion date a FURTHER 3 days, EoT for both events is 8 days. 5 days attributable to event 1, 3 days to event 2.

If you’d impacted the events, as they start on the same day, in reverse order then event 2 would have moved the completion date 8 days and event 1 would have shown no effect. The EoT would still be 8 days though, all attributable to event 2.

This is a nice example of how the order in which events are impacted can affect the "cause - effect" relationship of events and delays.
ashraf alawady
Mr.Gupta
You are right and you are entiteled to claim EOT for the 2
different variations.
REgards
Puneet Gupta
Thanks Mr. Ashraf

I am well aware of this method, normally this is the right way to show the impacts of events.

But we don’t have any mutually agreed production rates and also the variations are very different.

So our client suggested us to take the as-built duration for variation of work in consideration while impacting the schedule.

But i think your point is clear, it does not matter when we executed the Variation and even if we executed the 2 different variations on same day on the same activity...we can claim the duration of both the variations separetly as they are the parallel delay.

What do you say??? If my point is still not clear , please let me know again.
Regards

ashraf alawady
NO need to remove any thing but follow the following:-
*specicy the events into two separate categories(Variatons and delay events from the client).
*For variations and additional works:
1-specify and discripe each event properly.
2-clculate the total required quantities for each event .
Apply the acceptable daily productivity for each event.
3-Get the required duration for each event.
4-Isert all the events with thier respective quantities,daily productivity and duration in the approved baseline programme taking into cosideration to insert each event in proer location and proer links logically.
5-Run the programme and see what is the time impact for those events on the original comletion date of the contract.
*For te dlays events:-
Follw the aove menyioned proceedures but insert the delay events in the latest approved updated programme and runthe programme and see what is the time impact for those events.
GOOD LUCK

Puneet Gupta
Yeah i agree with u

And thats why i am confused.

Concurrency is when We have engineer’s delay as well as Contractor’s delay.

And normally when asking for EoT we need to remove concurrency.

But say there is no delay from contractor’s side but a 2 parallel delay from engineer’s side.

Do we still need to remove Parallelism like we do in concurrency???
Puneet Gupta
Thanks Mr. Ashraf

Let me try to explain it in more detail....

Say we are executing one activity which was originally in our scope of work.

Now client issued one Site instruction for an additional work.
Later on he also issued Revised IFC which shows more additional work.

now we executed these different additional work on same date though they were issued/informed on different dates but there actual execution is on same date.

As obvious both the delays i mean additional work are from Client but there actual execution is on same day.

Can we call it Parallel delay and not a concurrent delay.

And can we claim time for each delay (additional work) separetly.

I hope i cleared my point here.

We are using As-Planned/As-Impacted approach.
ashraf alawady
*Concurrent Delay is a Parallel Delay happend from both parties (client and the contractor).
*The case in not clear since you are telling that"there is a delay from engineer side say Variation of works which we executed on the same day"
*Also, can you clear what do you nean by"we are entitiled for both of them in terms of Time."
Can you explaine your case clearly in order to be able to give you our judgement.
Good Luck.
ashraf alawady
Dear ,Gupta
I would like to draw your attentuion regarding the following points:-
*When you are talking about concurrent delay that nean you have had your own delays at the time of issuing the client instruction for the additional works.(is it the case!)
*There is a difference between two things(issuing of instruction for addetional works where we have to study the impact of that instruction on the approved base line programme of the project.) and (if there is any delays from the client for any issue which we have to study yhe impact of the client delays in the last approved updated programme.)
*the issuance of site instruction for add. works may have an impact on the completion date or may not have.
all the above will be depend on the approved base line programme and the effect of the add.works on that programme.

GOOD LUCK