Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Charles A. Leonard "Effects of Change Orders"

7 replies [Last post]
Jerry Vogt
User offline. Last seen 6 years 23 weeks ago. Offline
Does anyone know if Charles A. Leonard, Author of "Effects of Change Orders", is still alive and if so how to contact him. - I have just spent a solid day googling for him [I could have located Elvis by now]

Replies

N Curgus PSP
User offline. Last seen 12 years 12 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None
I have seen some studies sponsored by the Construction Institute and as far as I am concern those make more sense than the Leonard Study. Unfortunately the Leonard Study is used/accepted by some dispute resolution boards/mediators and even some courts in the states.
Two major problems are:
• Study doesn’t take into account timing of change (except if change is issued before the project start). In a way, if you make major change (add labor hrs) related to the finish work while contractor is doing foundations and even the “changed” was issued well in advance its still count as a change according to the study.
• Assumption is that any missed work or re-work that’s a contractor’s responsibility (regardless how big) doesn’t cause the inefficiencies. Those hrs are actually subtracted from the actual hrs and will increase percentage of the change order hrs.

The Leonard Study is same, or even worse, than the total cost claim.
Stuart Ness
User offline. Last seen 12 years 15 weeks ago. Offline
WOW! Another enthusiast (I presume) of Charles Leonard’s study on “The Effects of Change Order on Productivity”. Although it was conducted in 1987 (and even though it is American-based) there are very few other authorities on the impact of Change Orders on Productivity, including the cumulative effect thereof!

It is one of the classic authorities in this area of labour productivity impacted by Change Orders.
The Leonard Study took 90 different case studies from 57 different projects to determine a model for predicting the productivity impact of change orders on the unchanged based work.

I’m curious to know if anyone else (outside of the USA ) has successfully managed to base a claim for reduced productivity based on Charles’ study!

Bet Elvis couldn’t do that!! ;_)

Cheers,

Stuart

www.rosmartin.com
Charleston-Joseph...
User offline. Last seen 2 years 38 weeks ago. Offline
Hi,

What great with him?

You can always locate Prince Charles or Charlie Orbe

Cheers
N Curgus PSP
Jerry,

I sent you an email with a phone number for Charles the other day. Have you received it?
What’s your email address and I will resend it.

Nenad
N Curgus PSP
Jerry,

check your PP Private Messages INBOX.

Thanks,

Nenad
Jerry Vogt
Don’t know that’s why I wonder if he has passed on. I thought he was from Canada. Found one Charles A. Leonard but was not the guy. Lots of Charles Leonards in the Global phone book but I figured I’d ask around before spamming every Charles Leonard on the globe.
Jerry Vogt
Thanks so much Mr. Curgus - I posted a reply and will let you know if the contact is still good.

JLVogt-