Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Prospective Forensic Analysis/Programme Audit/ Delay Analysis

2 replies [Last post]
Dominic Planner
User offline. Last seen 21 weeks 20 hours ago. Offline
Groups: None

I am dealing with  complex project that seems to be growing arms and legs and as such there has been slippages and delays to the programme. 

Can anyone give me advice on how best to analyse this? I would like to carry out some detailed analysis and to carry out some root cause analysis but not sure where to begin. 

Thanks!

Replies

Dominic Planner
User offline. Last seen 21 weeks 20 hours ago. Offline
Groups: None

Thanks Mike, 

I will have a go at this and let you know how I get on.

Dominic 

Mike Testro
User offline. Last seen 1 week 5 days ago. Offline

Hi Dominic

I would suggest that you start from the end and work backwoods.

Reschedule and then filter on the critical path.

Find which of the critical links come from a delay or slippage.

Now set up the Link Category System from the library - this will start with the standard links with the facility to add others.

To save time I would list another 10 with names like Crit Delay 01 to Crit Delay 10 - using lead zeroes.

Going back to your driving link right click to bring up Properies and select the drop down for the first link Crit Delay 01.

Then in Options > Reschedule disable the selected link.

When you reschedule your programe will be as if the link never existed.

Make a note of the differences.

Filter on critical and start again using Crit Delay 02

All the link categories can be re established in any order.

I use this method all the time for delay analysis and it is also good for What If scenarios.

Best regards

Mike Testro