Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Finish start links

1 reply [Last post]
Sarah Smith
User offline. Last seen 4 years 17 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None
I am new to planning and am trying to understand link logic and am getting very confused. I have only used finish to start links or finish to finish. Can you please tell me why have a start to finish and what does it do different to a finish to start. It seems to be the same thing to me. One task ends before another can start.

Replies

Mike Testro
User offline. Last seen 1 week 19 hours ago. Offline

Hi Sarah

Using Finish Start links is the correct procedure for the construction industry so please continue with that method.

Other schedulers use Start Start links with a lead lag but this is a lazy approach - I have had many a debate in PP on this topic so maybe another will start up.

There is no place for a Finish Finish link unless you have to close out a SS link creating a "ladder" sequence.

A ladder is fine for a manufacturing but not much use in construction.

There is no point in Start Finish link in any programme although I have seen it used once when a construction director was using them to create an As Late As Possible sequence. When I showed him the ALAP button he changed his ways.

The only place for a FS Lead Lag is to allow for drying out or curing when the time lag must be in calendar days.

Best regards

Mike Testro